Passaround: Book; The Second Meadow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Got this off eBay, good evening's read. The author, Archie Hill, spends three autumn months living in the forest on a large country estate, no contact with other humans. Brought with him a change of clothes, tent, billy can, some matches and a lighter, an air rifle, a bowie knife and a folder. Got hold of some snare wire from the gamekeeper's shed. Basically fed himself from the land, also lots of musings on Life, The Universe and Everything, with lots of memories of his childhood in the pre-war depression and how he learned to poach.

So just the book for those of us who dream of throwing off the shackles of every day life. This book is in good condition so I'd like to sell it on, but I thought it'd be a bit of payback to spread it around a bit before then. It's not an expensive book, cost about a tenner, but I'd like to keep it in saleable condition to make my money back, so some rules:

You've got to be a full member.

You get the book for a week and then pass it on to the next person on the list, whether or not you've read it.

The book gets posted in a jiffy bag.

When you pass it on, at the very least get proof of posting, if not recorded delivery.

Please post in this thread when you've received it, and when you've posted it.

If it inspires you to spend three months living in the forest, we want a good thread with pics!

So names please, and PM me with your address ta. :)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I bought this book a couple of Christmases ago,cracking good read,the writer is a local lad and set in my local!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i see there's a copy for sale in florida, only a hundred and five quid! bargain!

stick me on the list too please.

chers, and.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Fancy calling an air rifle Stella!

I seem to recall recommending this book elsewhere here but not sure under which thread. It was actually serialised on Radio 4 back in the early eighties which was a surprise even then. That said I'm 101% of the belief that the BBC is there to educate and if that happens to mean referring to shooting things that’s fine with me!

I also read one of his other books, “A Cage Full Of Shadows” or some such and, like most things written from either the heart or personnel experience, it rings true and will bring a tear to the eye of all but those of either a frozen or sterile-soul.

“The Second Meadow” is a good book and if for no other reason than you’ll remember to keep those “salt” levels up!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE