Parry Hunter Review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
My son went shopping for a Survival knife and came home with this:

The Parry Hunter:

[video=youtube;J6mwMXbmcOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6mwMXbmcOs[/video]

Please feel free to comment and subscribe.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Is the ability to pull out nails (or hammer them in for that matter) an important feature on a survival knife?

I would have thought that taking in to consideration theyears of experience the knife designer has put in to the final design he wouldhave encountered the need for it.
Thinking carefully, I would rather have that ability thannot. If I were in a position of building a shelter from wood that I had foundthe fact that I can remove nails and reuse them must be advantageous.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I suppose it's there for a very good reason. It's just a feature that I hadn't seen before on a survival knife so I was genuinely interested. Personally I'm not convinced. Having said that, I'm far from being an expert. I'll defer to Mr Parry's superior experience on this one.

couple of nails was always in include in a lot of military Survival tins as a useful thing

However I wouldn't ever hammer them in with the pommel and a fist action one slip (cold, tired, disoriented) and you can do serious damage to a far more important survival tool ...your hand (see the demo in the bigger brother Video not easy) i assume you can use the bigger one like a proper hammer if its in the sheath

the puller is putting a lot of stress on the blade the wrong way so you do run the risk of snapping or at best bending especially with the double grind thinning the blades in the middle but its cheap old 420 stainless so isnt that hard (high 40s to low 50s Rc bit more with 420HC) so should take a bit of force tho not as much as a good basic Carbon steel with a proper HT

The original is and was designed for a specific area of operation ie operational military use where a lot of the shortcomings i can think of for long term bushcrafting aren't a concern or factor

I suspect the Hunter is Staniforth trying to increase the range with Mel Parry's name by making a smaller lighter version so its more appealing as the original does have a limited market

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
couple of nails was always in include in a lot of military Survival tins as a useful thing

However I wouldn't ever hammer them in with the pommel and a fist action one slip (cold, tired, disoriented) and you can do serious damage to a far more important survival tool ...your hand (see the demo in the bigger brother Video not easy) i assume you can use the bigger one like a proper hammer if its in the sheath

the puller is putting a lot of stress on the blade the wrong way so you do run the risk of snapping or at best bending especially with the double grind thinning the blades in the middle but its cheap old 420 stainless so isnt that hard (high 40s to low 50s Rc bit more with 420HC) so should take a bit of force tho not as much as a good basic Carbon steel with a proper HT

The original is and was designed for a specific area of operation ie operational military use where a lot of the shortcomings i can think of for long term bushcrafting aren't a concern or factor

I suspect the Hunter is Staniforth trying to increase the range with Mel Parry's name by making a smaller lighter version so its more appealing as the original does have a limited market

I think you sould show some respect for Staniforths expertise gained from many years of knife making. You give the impression that this is slung together as cheaply as possible. I can assure you it is not. I would love to see someone "bend or snap" the balde, it is absolurely solid. If it was in amy way iffy I would have said that in the review.

Have you ever had hands on with either the Parry or the Hunter?

As I said in the Hunter review the idea came from Forge Survival in the USA to make a smaller lighter version of the Parry, it had nothing to do with increasing the range using Mel Parrys name. It came about from being a much requested version in the USA, so much so my son had to order his from there as they were not available anywhere in the UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE