Paramo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've done a search and noticed that a number of people do use it but haven't found out much else. Is it as good as the salesman says it is? Will it stand up to heavy rain. I tend to get quite hot. Might I have trouble with it being the only layer? It looks more comfy to use next to a tshirt though.
I noticed someone mention having usses with the trousers as they let water through when you sit down, I'm not wanting trousers but how have people found this downside with the coats.
I'm not after a light weight coat but am more interested in something that will cover the tops of my legs, which models woud you suggest for this?

Lastly where is a cheap place to get them?

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I haven't got any of their jackets (yet), but I have only heard good things about them. There are some reviews here.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
As it says in the reviews on outdoorsmagic, people either love Paramo or hate it. Those that love it seem very passionate about it. If you run quite hot though, I don't think it's for you, except maybe in winter.

I was thinking about a Velez smock from Ryedale Rambler: http://www.ryedale-rambler.co.uk/paramo.htm

If you're after something longer, maybe the Cascada jacket would be better.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
I have one of the reversible base layers and whilst it is a reasonable fleece, I can't say it was good value for money (and I got it at a discount!).

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Paramo real is as good as it's reputation, you will not get wet however hard it rains if you keep on top of the maintanace, even if you get water blown through the gaps around your face the liner will wick the moisture away before you notice it. As a previous deciple of buffalo it only took one trip with paramo for a glut of buffalo sales on EBAY. Just as long as you keep it clean and proof it on a regular basis you'll never change, UNLESS you sit down a lot, not working on a membrane it is easy to push moisture through the layers due to the poor hydrostatic head results, not really a problem as it will dry out v.fast.

But the best thing about paramo is that if you tear it you can sew it up and it'll be just as waterproof as before, if you tear both layers sew them seperatly and its back as new, excellant for those who rummage around in bushes all day :D

oh yes it's very warm, just a baselayer for most of the year, but most of the range have decent ventilation

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I had a paramo shirt for years. It was cut like a normal shirt, but reversible with smooth on one side and a sort of fleecy material on the other (which I always kept on the inside coz it attracts fluff). It was ace - I could wear it in all weathers. It kept me warm, dry in showers, and when it got too warm I'd wear it unbuttoned with the sleeves rolled up.

Thinking about it I probably wore it a bit too much. Only got disposed of when it was more burn-holes than material.... :eek:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a Paramo Alta parka/rain coat and one of the old and sadly discontinued Tocana shirts (the new Tocana is no where near as nice I think).
I run warm too and the Alta certainly is not a summer weight rain shell! Mind you, if you are in the mountains the altitude+wind above 500m can make things quite chilly. If you think of the fully water proof coats as a rain shell + 100 weight fleece you are not far off.

The fabric is quieter than any membrane outer, but does seem to be more prone to picking up on brambles than the harder finish fabrics.

The care is pretty easy, wash in Nikwax tech wash, then use the direct wash in preparation. I think that somewhat easier than the spray proofing I have gone through for Goretex clothing. Water does get pushed through the fabric at the shoulders if you carry a rucksack, but I have heard similar complaints for Goretex when it gets dirty so am not concerned.

Build quality is good ans as mentioned you can sew up little nicks. It doesn't like sparks, but then few synthetic garments do.

The shirt is brilliant and was worn for a week while I was in Scotland canoeing. It isn't water proof, but dried so fast that it kept up with fairly steady drizzle, kept me warm by blocking the wind and dried readily the following day. Sadly the shirt they offer now looks like a satin night shirt, or night club shirt :rolleyes:

Not sure if the Alta is better than the Keela Ottowa, they were both available in the store and I had a hard time choosing.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I am a true Paramo convert!!! :D

I've been wearing it for a couple of years now and have found it to be superb, but then again, it depends on what you want it for? I don't wear it when around the camp because of the fire damage possible. But for stuff away from the fire, it can't be beat. come down to ashdown sometime soon and I'll run you through my collection!!!
At the moment it consists of;

Alta II smock.
Cascada trousers.
Mountain vent reversible top.
Taiga fleece.
Cambia long sleeve reversible base layer.
I stopped short of the boxer shorts though. :rolleyes:

I can suggest suitable combinations if you like?

Martin

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I think it will have been the Cascada jacket I was looking at.
are the sizes on the big side? with coats I'm never sure if I'd need a small or a medium. I'm quite slim but often find "small" restrictive round the shoulders.
one thing that attracted me to the idea of paramo type stuff was that from the sounds of things I could undo the zip at the front and if it gets a bit damp it will dry quickly rather then be stuck inside the coat if I then do the zip up (same for hood. Is this correct? I don't think I spend a lot of time sitting down
Can you remove the hood from the Cascada jacket?

I'll try and make it down to ashdown but it costs a lot (and I'd need a lift from the train station)

EDIT: this place has them on special offer at £135 and you get a free Tshirt for orders over £100. I am very temped Has anyone delt with them? Is delivery included in the price?

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
I am another parmo fan, have had my stuff for about 10 years. Unlike most other waterproofs paramo is designed to be cleaned and reproofed in a washing machine, you can maintain the waterproofing in this way indeffinetely. I notice you are around Sheffield, CCC outrdoors (now go outdors) sometimes have paramo kit half price, I got my paramo trousers from the Hathersage branch a few years ago.

If you are thinking of doing Ashdown at some point checkout the discount sheffield-london train tickets. I did the whole journey the other way around(Tonbridge is near Ashdown) for £25 return a while ago. I had to book the London-Sheffield bit directly with the train company, just purchased the local rout ticket seperately.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE