paramo wash/reproof advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've had my paramo jacket for a little over a year and noticed it getting a bit damp round the cuffs so thought it's time for a wash and reproof.
I've got the little packets of nixwak stuff to do this and will do it by hand (I'll also do my biking jacket in the water afterwards)
Trouble is I don't have a tumble dryer
Is it worth taking it to a luandrett to get it dried? Does it work better if you do tumble dry?
since I'm wanting to do both my waterproof coats at the same time I don't want to be without a coat for too long. How long do they take to dry if you just leave them in a room?

thanks in advance

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
What Nikwax stuff do you have? When I reproofed by Goretex recently I used the Nikwax Tech Wash then wash-in reproofer, neither of which needed a tumble drier. I just washed them then hung them up overnight and it was sorted. Not sure how long it'll take for Paramo to dry, but since its entire point is to be super-quick drying I'm sure it won't take long.

Mark

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
mark a. said:
What Nikwax stuff do you have? When I reproofed by Goretex recently I used the Nikwax Tech Wash then wash-in reproofer, neither of which needed a tumble drier. I just washed them then hung them up overnight and it was sorted. Not sure how long it'll take for Paramo to dry, but since its entire point is to be super-quick drying I'm sure it won't take long.

Mark

I use the same products on my gear, after a short spin in the washing machine and then hung out on the line, or indoors if the weather is bad, my stuff dries fairly quick. I dont have a Paramo though, just Craghoppers and Berhaus.

ATB .... Stu

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Regular wash and Re-proof with concentrated fabric conditioner, short spin and into a large tumble drier (laundrette) for 10 mins. Cheap and extremely effective. Wash mine every month or two and still works well, smells nice too!! The tumble helps to seal the proofing in although a hot radiator will suffice at a push.

Nigel

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I was wondering if a hot radiator might be a good idea. The nikwax stuff saysd to tumble dry if the care lable allows (which paramo stuff does).
I guess I'll just do it at the weekend. I'll see if my house mate has a hair dryer

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
You can also use an iron on a medium low setting. Or if you're in the bush and you need to revitalize a proofing, heat up on your saucepan on your stove and run it all over the jacket. That also works wonders.

Cheers,

Adam

PS: Nigel, can you elaborate on using fabric softner to reproof a jacket? Would it work on cotton fabrics as well?

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Trail magazine did a test on reproofing waterproof gear and comfort fabric conditioner came out as one of the best , from what i remember they added it to hot water in a bath and soaked the items then dried them. I still use tech wash then TX direct wash in by nikwak for my velez smock and always dry it in the tumble dryer as it seems to 'cure' the surface and also makes it more comfy to wear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE