Panda bow

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Hi all,

What is the best cordage to use as a bowstring for my panda bow, dont want to spend any cash though

Regards

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi Pignut I have got loads of B50 Dacron for bowstrings. I know it is man made but if you let me know the length, draw weight and nock size I can knock you up a flemish string FOC. To be honest I have not made one in a while and need the practice :D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Wouldn't need loops would it? Probably best to use a knot at each end. Loops would slip over the bundled string nocks.

I'll make you one as well and stick it in with the bopper if you like. Never hurts to have a spare.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Wow! thanks both of you!

I am poping home in a while (Got to take dog to the vets)

Will give the bow a measure (Total length) an post when I get back!

I do only have string wound knocks so timber hitch may be the way to go!

Not sure on draw weight though?

Thanks chaps

Pignut

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I would not have thought that it would have been much above 40lb so 12 strands should be enough.

I have got the following colours:

Black
Red
'Natural' (it's a light brown)
Green (it's quite bright)
Yellow

I quite like the look of a tri-ply in Black, Red and 'Natural' and this would work with 12 strands quite well and looks good with a black centre serving which is good as I cannot find my green so it's all I have got ;)

But its your string and your choice.

Christopher

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Length of the bow nock to nock is 167 cm give or take

As for colours I leave that up to your artistic interpretation, though the bow handle will be wrapped with green leather (If that helps)

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm better get on with those arrows!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
OK, the one I've sent is to the same spec. If you string the bow up though and it turns out to be a shoulder-popping predator bagger just say and we'll sort you out with a heftier string.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
OK, the one I've sent is to the same spec. If you string the bow up though and it turns out to be a shoulder-popping predator bagger just say and we'll sort you out with a heftier string.

Youe are a true gent!

Cant wait

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi Pignut,

Your other string is being pre-streched at the moment and I found my bottle green serving so I have served it with that.

PM me the address you want me to send it to and I will stick it in the post.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hi Christopher

Just on the offchance that you've not seen it done, there's a real quick way of stretching. I hadn't come across it until I saw the 3-rivers flemish video and at the time thought "Naw, to hell with that...."

String up to a high brace height then stick the bow handle on the ground or a table, reach out, grab the nocks and force them down(erm, carefully force, if you know what I mean). It looks like a brutal, nasty thing to do but it doesn't half work.
Must admit I do it all the time these days. Still not keen on the vibe of it, it's just so quick and efficient.
Have never felt like I'm doing any harm.

:eek:
Josh

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Hi Christopher

Just on the offchance that you've not seen it done, there's a real quick way of stretching. I hadn't come across it until I saw the 3-rivers flemish video and at the time thought "Naw, to hell with that...."

String up to a high brace height then stick the bow handle on the ground or a table, reach out, grab the nocks and force them down(erm, carefully force, if you know what I mean). It looks like a brutal, nasty thing to do but it doesn't half work.
Must admit I do it all the time these days. Still not keen on the vibe of it, it's just so quick and efficient.
Have never felt like I'm doing any harm.

:eek:
Josh

Your bow string and antler arrived safe and sound! gonna try and string it tonight, I will let you know what the outcome is, May even post a picture or 2

Thanks for your kindness chaps!

Really do appreciate this

Regards

Dave

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Pignut you should have mine in the morning as well.

Grooveski I have not seen that method before but in this instance I could not have used it as Pignuts Panda bow is a bit smaller than my smallest. But a made up a strecher/serving jig and used that instead. It also make serving a lot easier as well.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Crikey, my longest is 68"(which was handy).

Stretching jig? Sounds useful. Could you put up a description or perhaps a photo?

Sorry for the minor thread hijack Pignut. You can have it back when you post piccies.:D

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Crikey, my longest is 68"(which was handy).

Stretching jig? Sounds useful. Could you put up a description or perhaps a photo?

Sorry for the minor thread hijack Pignut. You can have it back when you post piccies.:D

Josh my shortest is 69" but then I do have a problem of stopping my knuckles dragging on the floor ;-)

Re: The Stretching jig I could post a pic but I took the KISS approach and it's a very simple one.

Mine is just a 6 1/2 foot length on 2" x 4". At one end there is a couple of joist brackets with fixed hook bolted between them with the hook on the centre line. At the other end I clamp another bracket (this allows you to do different string lengths) with an 6" eye bolt with part of the eye cut off to make a threaded hook which is passed through one of the holes in the vertical. I use two nut on the back, this allow you to stretch the string between the two hooks with one right behind the bracket holding the hook vertical with the other hand so that you don't add any extra twist. Or tighten up the back one till it locks then you can twist them both together to add extra twist.

Just remember that if you want use it as a serving jig make sure that you set the two hooks high enough so that when you give your serving tool a spin it does not hit the frame, bounce off the string, and end up half way across the room :D

I keep meaning to make a better one but, hey, it works.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Nice description, thanks.:)

I take it it's noticable when the stretch is taken out, or do you stretch by a percentage of length?

Sorry for the third degree. I reckon one of these may be in the making though. Has to beat brutal nasty method.;)

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
No problems Josh. I cannot claim any credit because I based it on one in the do'in the twist DVD and I am sure Pignut will not mind.

Back to your question:

You can see how far you are winding it in by how far the threaded hook is going in but I normally do it by ear.

I pluck it. When is sounds right (which is affected by how think the string you are making) I lock it off with the back nut. I leave it an hour and then re-tune.

If I have made flemish loops at both ends I measure the string and if it is now to long I add more twist to the string to bring it back before I serve it.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I build a panda bow today, as I was felling some bamboo. Most of it was not fully dry and still green, and I rushed the lashings, which would explain the lack of power but it's very light and perfectly capable of taking something down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE