Paint and dent patch up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Bought a van for conversion and although a tidy van there are some unusual dents. Mostly variations on a circular dent pushed straight into the metal. One is completely round the others are more uneven / off round. All got dealt with undercoat, primer and outer paint layers, just not matching outer and it's messy.

I'm not looking for immaculate as we'll be putting our own "patina" to it sooner or later. I'm not even sure it's worth doing anything but I thought I'd query any local car enthusiasts on here for advise.

One is in the A column the others on general bodywork. Worst is at a guess 0.5cm deep and 1cm diameter. I know there's companies out there who can suck out some dents. I assumed only on panels and not columns. Also I assume dent these punch dents (my term) would not be possible to rectify.

Also, would you bother? So long as the dent has been sealed I suppose it's not important. Opinions and advice gratefully received.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
0.5cm deep and 1cm diameter, sounds a prime candidate for filling. Would disappear under the right paint coat. No way that is going to pull out.

Dents would bother me and would nag at me constantly. If you are going to the trouble of working on the inside, it isn't all that much effort to fill and spray that sort of dent on the outside.

There are a LOT of very good videos on Youtube for filling and painting. I like CustomSprayMods from Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCViyboSXSfns8wtFx3_1g

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh don't misunderstand, we're getting a company to do the conversion. Have to really. No tools and it's parked on the street. With three nutters round the corner driving like they do it's not safe working on the road. Besides, I want a good job done!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Vivaro Sportive 16 plate. 1.6 litre diesel with single turbo not the biturbo. I got put off the biturbo due to potential cost if failure. Not worth the slight improvements which tbh could probably be met by recapping. That's a premium and potential for expensive repair for nothing much performance wise.

So far I like our choice. Mpg is better than our seat car and tbh not bothered by the lower performance speed and handling. It's great being high up too. Need to learn how to drive like a van driver though. Bossing large SUVs around that is. A mate had a trannie van that looked well lived in and it's fun seeing his confidence driving it. Cars scatter from his advance. But that's possibly the heavy duty bull bars, heavily dented and knocked out of place a bit. If you have a nice car you'll tend to give old bangers a wide berth if they're beaten up a bit.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The plan is to do the vw style conversion job on it. Swb, low roof but it'll take a pop top and still fit in car parks. What we need really.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Go "camo",
30079435163_bc6829c306_b.jpg

Matching paint is easy, and you can hide in the woods. :O_O:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Off this afternoon to check in with a converter to discuss our plans. Time to get it kicked off.

One thing I did try winding my other half up about was getting a wrap. Didn't work when I had to explain it to her. I did suggest a white or black stripe straight up the middle of the van and decals or logo stickers on it too. She ruled that out straight away.

She wants a pop top so no roof bars. Makes our son's only wish of rear mounted ladders pointless. It's his only request. I fancied getting canoes/ kayaks again which no roof mounting makes that doubtful. Swb.

Anyway, perhaps filler and paint would be good to do. But I know once you start you'll need to keep touching the van up as we dent and scratch it. Partner is all about utility over looks. So long as the damage isn't serious it really doesn't matter. Although I'm one for wanting to keep things nice looking. With a 6 year old damage happens. Pet hate is sunscreen marks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE