Paddling The Wye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Just returned from three days on the river Wye and had a great time. Started at Glasbury and hired two two-man canoes from Wye Valley Canoes. They provided sealable barrels for our kit in the event of capsize. If I do this again I'll buy some dry sacks and stuff my kit in them as the barrels were a pain to move.

We paddled 12 miles on the first afternoon in around four hours. There was little headwind which helped our speed Stopped at a little campsite called Lockster's Pool which was really just a bank which formed part of a farmer's field. The old lady, Mrs Mason, who owned the land was very friendly, even letting us watch a bit of the Royal wedding when we went to pay her the two quid a night fee.

There was me and my three mates camping and four blokes further down the bank. We cooked over an open fire with extensive dead wood at one end of the bank. It was one of the most idyllic nights I've ever spent outdoors.

I used my DD tarp for the first time and it worked perfectly. There was a lot of condensation in the morning due to very wet ground from a downpour literally seconds before I set up (I kept one end pinned to the ground which didn't help) but I had a good night's sleep and simply opened up the tarp up in the morning and it dried out in a few minutes.

After a full English and resupply of water we struck camp and set off for a glorious day's paddling to Bycross farm, witnessing swallows swooping for insects over the water and storks and fish jumping. Due to the dry April in parts we hit the bottom and had to get our and push a couple of times but this was fun. We did around 10 miles with aching shoulders from the day before and there was a strong headwind. A couple of cheeky cans helped numb the pain.

Bycross Farm was a disappointment after Lockster's Pool because it was a busy site with cars and family tents everywhere, but we found a quiet corner and bought some firewood from the owner before setting out the mile or so to The Yew Tree Inn for some real cider and a massive dinner of roast chicken and all the trimmings. There was no menu, this is all he was serving that night, but by God, it was tasty. We descended on the food like vultures. After a stuffed stroll back to camp we made a fire and sat around talking nonsense before crashing.

The next morning after a big breakfast we phoned Wye Valley Canoes who were there within half an hour to pick us and the canoes up to take us back to our cars. A wonderful royal wedding weekend.

PS can anyone recommend where I'd start to find other navigable rivers in the UK with wild camping and the hiring of canoes? I'm hooked on this form of holiday now!

Also, where would be a good five day trip to do in Europe with hiring canoes and wild camping? I hear there are some gorges in France (Chassezac I think).

All the best,

Darren

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds perfect mate

Can't help on the future trips (as I only really do lakes and lochs) but it might be worth asking over on SOTP

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Sounds like a lovely night:) I paddled once up near brecon and then camped there.. not sure of the name of the place thou :)

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I went camping and canoeing down the ardeche gorge years ago, I had my own canoe but there were lots of hire company's there as well and it was once of the best holidays I have ever had

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had the pleasure of not only paddling the Wye and the Ardeche and love them both - even better is the Orange River in South Africa :)
On top of that I have been paid to paddle on all three coaching and guiding novice groups .....its a hard life! :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Avoid the Ardeche in July and August because you can't get a boat down the river as there's that many inflatables and kids knocking about there's nowhere to place a paddle. September is a great time to go if possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE