Pack frame help

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I've made a few pack frames before but i'm wanting to make one with a ledge, like an Alice pack.

However It's going to be made of wood and my only tool is my knife and me.

The ledge is causing me a few theoretical problems.

If i make a rectangular frame the lengh of my back with a brace running horizontally through.

The lowest horizontal will have the ledge attached, i'm thinking of using a dovetail join for attaching the outward parts of the ledge to the horizontal, however through testing i realise this won't be sufficient for any wieght due to the way the doward force will most likely snap the dovetails.

I thought i could rectify this by attaching pieces from the horizontal on the ledge up to th uppormost horizontal near the head, the only way i can think to attach this is using end nocks on the angled brace sticks, cutting a hole through the uppormost part of the end nock and inserting a dowel to secure it.

Has anyone made a pack like this?

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I did consider lifting the ledge up a bit and bracing it from underneath via a cantilever action but this would take some of the lengh out of it so i went to my complicated idea.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure I can help you but I'll give it some thought. Got to ask, why are you wanting to make a frame of all wood? Seems as though that would be heavy as well as complicated.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't think any type of wood joint would be strong enough to carry weight, what you could do is make a hole, (with the end of your knife ) at each end of the 'ledge/tray" then pass either para cord or some natural fibre cord through the holes ( a knot at the end or toggle will stop them pulling through) then attach/tie the other ends of the cord to the pack frame (sides), notches in the wood wil stop them slipping down...... a bit like a castle draw bridge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE