Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
This is a follow up to the Oxfordshire and surrounding area post I made about a potential site for bushcraft activities.
Well things have moved on so I decided this now needs a thread of its own.

I visited the site in question this weekend and spoke to the events organiser (the woodland is used for other activities too) and the outcome was positive. He has no objections to holding a bushcraft meet and does not foresee any objections from the owners considering the type of activities which already take place there :)
You will appreciate that what follows is subject to agreement by the owners and could very easily, as is often the case, not happen so please don't have a go at me if it does :eek:

So what does the site consist of?

30 acres of woodland
3 ponds
A natural flat secluded area for camping
Parking behind locked gates.

Potential activities:
Shelter building - there is more than enough materials for this.
Wild cooking - I saw blackberry bushes, lots of fungi (not sure what though) and fresh water shrimp!
Natural cordage - nettles galore and willow.

There may be a requirement to do some clearing of various areas but I don't think this will put people off and it will actually help the owners.
There will also need to be some rules agreed with the owners before anyone is allowed on site e.g fire lighting (probably restricted to one communal fire only).

What I need from you guys now is an indication of anyone who may be interested in a meet at the site so we can take this to the owners. I will be giving them a link to BCUK so they can see for themselves that we are serious about it.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Well done Bootstrap! Myself and the OH would be up for meets, at least until we move house. (Dates unconfirmed as yet) Are (polite) dogs allowed?

ODG

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Well done for sorting this....can you say in Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire the site is? As distance would play a factor in how interested/easy it would be for myself to come along.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
well done that man you can count me in time and wife permitting I'm in bucks so a general location would help me plan too. feel free to pm if posting in open forum is not desirable or for any advice/assistance i can offer

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Questions

ODG - not sure about (polite) dogs, I'll ask if/when things start progressing.

pteron - hammocks will be perfect, the terrain is not very flat (except one area) so pitched tents will be limited, plenty of trees though.

jdl - thanks for the offer, I'll probably be in touch when things start rolling.

All - I'll PM actual location when all is confirmed because I don't want people turning up there un-announced until everything is sorted. All I can say is that it is on the border between West Ox and North Glos.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Bootstrap Bob said:
All - I'll PM actual location when all is confirmed because I don't want people turning up there un-announced until everything is sorted. All I can say is that it is on the border between West Ox and North Glos.

Ok no problems, Personally might find that a little too far to go for an overnighter, but if it was a couple of nights then that should be good.

Any idea on the time scale of when you think you might be aiming to get the first meet there for?

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Ok, I've emailed the relevant person indicating an interest from you guys and a link to BCUK. I estimated around a dozen so far which is a good number all we have to do now is sit and wait for something from the owner.
Once I get the green light we can start talking dates, can't really do any more just yet. :)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Bootstrap Bob said:
Ok, I've emailed the relevant person indicating an interest from you guys and a link to BCUK. I estimated around a dozen so far which is a good number all we have to do now is sit and wait for something from the owner.
Once I get the green light we can start talking dates, can't really do any more just yet. :)

Topman well done :D :D

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Update in case you thought nothing was happening.

I have now had confirmation that the Forest manager does not have a problem with what we want to do in the woods so it looks like a go-er :) :) :)

Unfortunately he has just gone away for a weeks holiday and I cannot talk dates until he returns. I also need to give him a list of activities that we will be undertaking so that everyone knows where they stand.
I will start with the list that I posted at the beginning of the thread and see how that goes. Does anyone have anything else that they would like to try while they are there?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE