Overnight with jackals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Just came back from an overnight this time next to the city in about 5 km behind the mountain next to it , its a popular hike , there are people on morning walks there everymorning , no matter snow rain etc.
Wanted to test a new tent which I plan to use on my mountain trips , I didnt have my shotgun with me of course , because its already strange to people seeing me in camo , with knifes a big bottom axe and a bear claw on the neck :lmao: at night I was talking to the camera and I hear something kind of dog howling/barking , it was about 8-9pm I kept talking didnt listen to it , it continued , it was in front of me about 50-100 meters and then I listened to it carefully and understood that's not a dog its a jackal which just came out of its hole on an evening hunt, so after a while it went on my left side and I couldn't hear it anymore so I continue enjoying the trip and boom I hear its barking right from my back about max 50 meters , I yelled at him and scared the sh out of him :D so he ran away and I thought that would be it , then in about half an hour he came back in about the same place , it was very dark , night without moon so I couldnt see anything with the headlamp , I yelled at him again very loudly and stood up with the axe in my hand , walked about 20 meters from my camp and he ran away , that was the last time I saw him , at night until 2am it was such windy that even he would be scared to come out , the wind was shaking the tent and tarp very much but it was pegged good and after that it the wind settled down and I slept like a little baby , funny adventure it was , more you will see in the video :)

[video=youtube;3xZ1T3DbyTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZ1T3DbyTs[/video]

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was surprised too, but it is so.

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_jackal
The European jackal (Canis aureus moreoticus), also known as the Caucasian jackal[SUP][2][/SUP] or reed wolf[SUP][3][/SUP] is a subspecies of golden jackal native to Southeast Europe, Asia Minor and the Caucasus. It was first described in 1833 by French naturalist Isidore Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire during the Morea expedition.[SUP][4][/SUP]
It is one of the rarest and least known native canids in Europe,

There is also an expansion going on:
https://phys.org/news/2015-07-expansion-golden-jackal-europe-tricky.html

Certainly adds to the outdoor experience.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hahahah!!! Thats very naughty Nick , going around scaring poor little Jackals like that....😨😄

Another cool trip report bud 👍👍

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Is Georgia in Europe or Asia ?
I know the eastern border Europe/Asia goes through the Ural mountains, but where does the south eastern border go?

As for the jackals, I find it exciting that they are spreading.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE