Outdoor Literature

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Care to discuss outdoor literature, BCUK? Let's recommend works old and new. I don't mean Bushcraft books or nature guides, rather accounts of adventurers, outdoor philosophy, solitary living and things like this.

I must say I picked up Walden a while ago, but have not been able to get past the first few pages. I feel as though Thoreau's words are an alien language, and I'm ashamed to admit it. Has anyone read Walden?

A modern and less verbose, nonetheless great, recommendation of mine would of course be Mears' My Outdoor Life.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Have you read any of Mike Tomkies stuff?
No, but I'll look into it.

I've just bought myself a copy of The Call of the Wild by Jack London. I'm sure some of you have read it. I just read the first few pages and it gripped me. It's an American classic about primitivism and Darwinian social hierarchy.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I just finished reading London's short story "To Build a Fire". A great but tragic read for outdoorsmen. I feel that it might connect with some of the people of the Sub-zero group. The protagonist tries to light a fire with birch bark and it almost reads like an Bushcraft guide at points, which is rather surprising for a writer in 1908. Not a story for children, though, that I can assure you. It has put me in a sombre mood, in fact.

http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2011/02/to-build-fire.html

Last edited:

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I recently Finished reading the Journals of John Mcdouall Stuart, as well as Burke and Wills, Charles Sturt and a few others about their explorations into the Australian interior, Some of the hardships they went through and mistakes they made make compelling reading
Most can be found on the net Free and Legal, Assuming you have an E Reader to read em on of course.:)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I must say I picked up Walden a while ago, but have not been able to get past the first few pages. I feel as though Thoreau's words are an alien language, and I'm ashamed to admit it. Has anyone read Walden?

Neither could I. I tried to get through the book, but put it away about half way through. It was no fun, relaxing or enjoyable read.....

Yep, enjoyed his "A last wild place" a lot.

I also liked Nicolas Vanier's "Snowchild". I think it is strange that his books seldom show up in outdoor literaturelists.

And then there are of course Guy Grieve's A call of the wild and Dorian Amos' The good life, which I both found very enjoyable.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I've just been rereading this thread and I think I'm going to pick up Mike Tomkies' A Last Wild Place. It appeals to me very much. However, I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it before. He doesn't seem all that well known, despite having written best selling books and lived in the Candian wilds. Apparently the man didn't get the coverage he deserves.

What's the verdict on the book?

Thanks.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE