Outdoor Ethics - Leave No Trace

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
Hi, I'm new here, and it's already struck me that people are cheerfully chatting about building fires and leaving fire rings, cutting vegetation for shelters and bedding, and generally impacting their environment. Pretty much what I was used to from living in South Africa.

I then made a couple of seaches for Leave No Trace, and couldn't really find any discussion about it on the forums.

So ... do you know about this outdoor ethic/philosophy, and if so, what do you think about Leave No Trace?

For those who might not be familiar with it, visit

http://www.lnt.org/programs/lnt7/index.html

I was surprised the first time I was out with Americans who had trained in LNT. No campfire - what was the point of camping, I wondered? - and in the morning, the leaves were fluffed back up.

At first I thought it silly and a bit fanatical, but when I saw the difference it made to the environment (there really was just about no sign that people had ever passed that way) I was won over.

Is there something similar in Europe? And how is it taught?

F

Freds Dad

I once took a party of Scouts on a bushcraft camp in a wood by kind permission of the land owner. We lit fires skinned and gutted rabbits and did a hedgerow harvest. When the land owner came the next day to check us out he couldn't work out where the fires had been. Apart from strampled stingers ond bracken there was no sign of us being there. It is possible but needs a little work and thought.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I know that whereever and however I camp I am a firm believer in LNT and I'm sure that I'm not the only one here that goes over their decamp with a fine tooth comb philosophy (esp with two kids and a dog & Missus - a potentially messy business I'm sure y'all will acknowledge).

Of course we all impact the environment to some degree, be it whilst practising bushcraft, going to work or even chilling in the back garden but I believe that you have come to a place where you dont need to search for a discussion on leaving no trace as it is generally assumed that anything contrary is simply not acceptable.

Matt.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Here in the UK, there is a basic set of Ethical Conduct rules for All users of the Countryside:

http://www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk/

This is often augmented by Codes of Practice for Mountain Leaders and Kayak/Canoe Instructors to work within.

Sadly, the "Leave No Trace" Philosophy is much more prevalent among Backpackers, Mountaineers and Paddlers, then it is in Bushcraft circles (mainly because there is no central organisational body) although this is slowly changing for the better.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
My outdoor life has been goverened by this ethic for a long time, I go to great lengths to ensure I leave no trace.
My fires are built on existing fire scars or are built on rafts, that can be cleared away and do not scorch the ground.
I never cut greenwood , only dead standing would that can be pushed over if it has not already fallen.
I keep my gear light and alternate my areas so that no one area becomes de-nuded.
My gear is chosen with the same ethic, recycling where I can and using gear until it is no longer useable.
I'm sure many here do the same.
Neil

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Hello,

Yes that ethic is very much alive in this Country and as a Scout Leader it is something I try to teach them. Sadly many just don't understand.

A few weeks ago we were on an expedition and one of the lads asked if he could build a fire, I agreed so long as he kept to the designated areas which he did but in the process almost emptied the site wood pile with a hugley oversized fire. When I told him to take some back he wasn't at all happy so I asked what would the next person do if there was no wood, and he replied that was their problem. :eek:

With that sort of attitude its going to be hard to get them to understand.

Before leaving any site we carry out a complete litter sweep and make sure that all fires are out, the ashes are scattered thoughtfully or taken home and when using branches or nettles we follow the rule of never taking from sparse vegtation and never more than every 10th stem from elsewhere.

Sadly many adults and children see to think that they have to build the largest fire imaginable and keep it burning all camp. Why? Such a waste of resources, why can't they see that? :confused:

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think LNT camping is the only way. Not only for the environments sake however. The more of us who practice this the more likely we are to be accepted in the countryside and the easier it will be to get permission to camp etc.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Think this is a core part of bushcraft , There is nothing worse than finding a realy nice spot only to find the remains of a fire often full of burnt tins etc . I do agree tho there is a lot of talk about building shelters etc but in reality only dead wood and soft green materials/dead stuff are used in the uk . most people prefer the convenience of a rope and basha .Most of our open space is very controlled :) .

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Zodiak said:
Hello,

Yes that ethic is very much alive in this Country and as a Scout Leader it is something I try to teach them. Sadly many just don't understand.

A few weeks ago we were on an expedition and one of the lads asked if he could build a fire, I agreed so long as he kept to the designated areas which he did but in the process almost emptied the site wood pile with a hugley oversized fire. When I told him to take some back he wasn't at all happy so I asked what would the next person do if there was no wood, and he replied that was their problem. :eek:

With that sort of attitude its going to be hard to get them to understand.

Before leaving any site we carry out a complete litter sweep and make sure that all fires are out, the ashes are scattered thoughtfully or taken home and when using branches or nettles we follow the rule of never taking from sparse vegtation and never more than every 10th stem from elsewhere.

Sadly many adults and children see to think that they have to build the largest fire imaginable and keep it burning all camp. Why? Such a waste of resources, why can't they see that? :confused:

Glad to see this attitude among scouts.

When I first started canoe guiding, in the 1960s, some scout groups were among the least likely to "leave no trace." It was never too hard to tell when certain scout groups had been on a campsite. They always tried to "improve" the campsite. You would see little tables or cots built of saplings and twine (most of which wouldn't stand upright), walk ways lined with rocks - sometimes spray-painted white (who brings along a can of spray paint on a canoe trip?), the duff all swept off the walkways with little brooms made of a sapling and pine needles (inducing erosion), and every one of the scouts had a little knife or a little hachet which he felt obliged to try out on the trees around the campsite.

Happily, this "improvement" ethic seems to have died out among scouts and I haven't seen such a campsite in many years.

As to campfires - the best campfires I've seen were built by Ojibwe - and also one Zulu man I went to college with. A few twigs, closely tended, were all he needed to cook his food.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Leave No Trace? I have to admit I can’t say I fully practice this, fire yes always cleared away. Once you have found somewhere you feel comfortable with, you will inevitable use that site more and more, thus you will soon have an impact. If you where to visit a site that I have been using for many years you will soon see traces of human activity, but only if you really know what to look for. The most obvious is the rope I have hung up for my parachute, which has been left in situ, for convenience. I do however practise a good deal of low impact bushcrafting followed with conservation. In fact I could say that since I have been using the same area for such a long time I have seen more wildlife move in closer to the site I use, I have created habitat piles with left over wood to encourage insects, mammals etc, felled trees to open up the forest floor to encourage plants to thrive, coppiced hazel, willow to increase the growth of sparse shrubs, etc. All this has been done over several years and very subtly done.
To gain some sort of respect or trust from the land owners, you should also show them that you do respect there land, by clearing the damage left by those who do not, and then in return you will get the permission you want.

Nigel

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
SowthEfrikan said:
So ... do you know about this outdoor ethic/philosophy, and if so, what do you think about Leave No Trace??

Take a look at the last photo in this THREAD . Yes i practice what I preach to the best of my ability :D

M

mjk3k

i allways go by LNT, best way i love seening a camp site as i found it, just makes you think nature looked after you for the night, your safe you should look after it and repay it even if it is clearing up a campfire and putting some leaves back...

my 2 cents

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,
I try to leave as little sign as possible when I'm out as I don't want to spoil an area for myself or anyone else. I don't like going to a new area and finding fire debris or other rubbish, I always feel the need to tidy it up :rolleyes:

Brian

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
pierre girard said:
As to campfires - the best campfires I've seen were built by Ojibwe - and also one Zulu man I went to college with. A few twigs, closely tended, were all he needed to cook his food.

An old American saying i once heard "An indian builds a small fire and huddles close to it, a white man builds a fire so large he has to stand well back."

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
We try not to leave any trace and most of us know what we are doing and we really care for our countryside. By the way where is texas? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I used to think I practised LNT, years of camping, TA etc.. But I've just qualified as an instructor of LNT in Nevada. The course was run by Bureau of Land Management (us Govt.)
It was fascinating in the way you adopt to conditionseg: is this a pristine site or a regularly used site? Where do I put my feet is as important as where do I put my fire.
If you want some booklets on this I may be able to obtain some before I return UK.
Just PM me and I'll see what I can do.
George

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
,Hi Folks

We have a great farmer who lets us use his land, he wants us to leave trace as he gets a grant for allowing access to his land...If we left no trace he gets no grant...He is very happy that we use what is redundant land to educate people both young and old...However when on other sites it is good to see as little trace as possible...

LS

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I have become a firm beliver in this, a few yaers ago I went away with a few mates ( so-called), they only went away to get ****** away from their other halfs, when they left the campsite, they left all their empty cans and three sleeping bags ( because they puked on them), I was discusted with them, and vowed never to camping with them again. The bonus is I got three near brand (because for the puke, they never slept in them) new spleeping bags out of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE