Out & about again - pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enforced semi retirement does have some advantages, one being that i got round to doing my long planned 17Km walk last week, i didnt bother taking photo's of the beginning of the walk as the route was exactly the same as the first half of my last out and about post , http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33940 the route changed when i got to here, instead of turning left, i went straight on

Dscn5362.jpg

What made this walk nice was the fact that i had some company, no idea who the guy was, but he was heading the same way as me until the above point in the walk, so we just walked and chatted, his accent was slightly unusual for the area though and i found out he was Canadian and was over here visiting some of his family.

Having gone a seperate way to my impromptu travelling companion, i started to head towards the furthest point of my route.

Photo looking back towards where i had come from, which was the other side of the large hill in the background

Dscn5398.jpg

Looking back at Cissbury Ring Hill Fort.

Dscn5399.jpg

View looking back again from slightly further up the route, the hill on the right is the fort btw

Dscn5401.jpg

instead of looking backwards it was time to press on and look forwards, my objective for the day is the clumps of trees on the very far hill on the left of the photograph

Dscn5402.jpg

Even further from home now

Dscn5403.jpg

The ring starting to get closer, although it's still quite a distance to walk as it's an indirect route to get there, lots of heading North before you can head West.

Dscn5404.jpg

View to the South West

Dscn5405.jpg

and to the North East

Dscn5406.jpg

on the home straight to the Ring

Dscn5407.jpg

at last, i reach the ring, Chanctonbury Ring is another example of a prehistoric hill fort in the area that i live, it's within full view of Cissbury Ring and i contemplated what the inhabitants of these two places thought all those thousands of years ago, when they looked over the land and saw the fires in the other hill fort. The hill fort here dates back to the 5th-6th century BC so is considerably younger than Cissbury Ring that back to 300BC, although proof of human occupation has been found dating back to Neolithic times

More details on Chanctonbury here http://www2.prestel.co.uk/aspen/sussex/chanctonbury.html#hist and Cissbury here http://www2.prestel.co.uk/aspen/sussex/cissbury.html#hist

Dscn5408.jpg

time for a spot of lunch, found myself a nice sit tree and brewed up, Warthogs lid certainly does come in handy and sees a lot of use.

Dscn5414.jpg

Dscn5413.jpg

Dscn5415.jpg

Enjoyed the general views of the area

Dscn5417.jpg

Dscn5411.jpg

time to head home

Dscn5421.jpg

the large hill in the back ground is where im heading

Dscn5422.jpg

Found a dedication to a former local farmer whilst walking back

Dscn5423.jpg

Really enjoyable walk of just over 17Km in the autumn sunshine.

Thanks for looking

Kep

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
Nice to see some pics of my old stamping ground! Did you go a little further west from Chanctonbury to the dew pond? I used to water my horse there before it was fenced in.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
didnt get to the dew pond this time unfortunately, next time perhaps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE