Our new homestead! a bit picture heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Its great to do regardless of the amount. If you can find a source of cheap tree trunks, you can save your folks a fortune.
I'm with you Red, back on the farm I'd get home from working in forestry and spend an hour and a half every night chopping wood. I found it an almost Zen like way to relax at the near end of a day. Also the kitchen range was wood fired so I wouldn't get my tea otherwise! As the logs were free I'd process loads up and distribute them to the old folks 'round about to help keep their fuel bills down. Must admit there was reciprocation and I'd often get jam, cakes, fish or meat to take away as a thank you. It's nice to live in an area like that where everyone looks out for each other.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm with you Red, back on the farm I'd get home from working in forestry and spend an hour and a half every night chopping wood. I found it an almost Zen like way to relax at the near end of a day. Also the kitchen range was wood fired so I wouldn't get my tea otherwise! As the logs were free I'd process loads up and distribute them to the old folks 'round about to help keep their fuel bills down. Must admit there was reciprocation and I'd often get jam, cakes, fish or meat to take away as a thank you. It's nice to live in an area like that where everyone looks out for each other.

Sounds great mate! Good on you for doing that- very gentlemanly of you, but I bet the jam and cake was worth it! And yeah- everyone near us is dead friendly, only a few houses dotted hear and there but it's nice to get to know those nearby :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds great mate! Good on you for doing that- very gentlemanly of you, but I bet the jam and cake was worth it! And yeah- everyone near us is dead friendly, only a few houses dotted hear and there but it's nice to get to know those nearby :).
It is good, and a great safety net when you live somewhere rural. We get snowed in here every couple of years and it's great the way that everyone rallies 'round, digging each other out and the likes. When the village shop ran out of bread my oven got stuck into making bread to dole out as I liked to keep a good dry store to live from. (We of course struggled manfully to get to work; and had to tell folk to shush as we phoned in from the snow party to say we couldn't make it. The sound of corks being pulled tends to carry on the phone at 9am I've found.:eek:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's nice to live in an area like that where everyone looks out for each other.

Indeed, but what many people forget is, to paraphrase the great man, you have to "be the change you want to see in the world". You clearly started a great thing there - and karma brought you back some cakey goodness.

We had a new neighbour recently (ex copper as it happens). He came to buy some plants when we and my buddy were having a beer one evening. We said "hi" as he approached the plant stall at the gate and he told us he had moved in down the road in a tumble down place. So of course we brought him in, gave him a beer and we chewed the fat for a few hours. This led to us lending him some tools and giving tradesmans names etc.

Anyway, another new neighbour happened this week and was left with a pile of trees and mud by builders. Me and my buddy broke out the saws and heavy machinery to help - and up rocked the policeman to shift logs and told the newest neighbour "thats how it works round here apparently - everyone pitches in". Made me smile that. I think most people are good people - but a little gift or help without expectation of reward goes a long way to reminding them of that ;)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Indeed, but what many people forget is, to paraphrase the great man, you have to "be the change you want to see in the world". You clearly started a great thing there - and karma brought you back some cakey goodness.

We had a new neighbour recently (ex copper as it happens). He came to buy some plants when we and my buddy were having a beer one evening. We said "hi" as he approached the plant stall at the gate and he told us he had moved in down the road in a tumble down place. So of course we brought him in, gave him a beer and we chewed the fat for a few hours. This led to us lending him some tools and giving tradesmans names etc.

Anyway, another new neighbour happened this week and was left with a pile of trees and mud by builders. Me and my buddy broke out the saws and heavy machinery to help - and up rocked the policeman to shift logs and told the newest neighbour "thats how it works round here apparently - everyone pitches in". Made me smile that. I think most people are good people - but a little gift or help without expectation of reward goes a long way to reminding them of that ;)

It's nice having a sense of community- even when there are very few around, it's good to help each other out :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What was nice was that the forester who took over from me took up the challenge and did the same when I left, starting a wee tradition. Funny some places I've lived where there wasn't much of a community spirit, the locals complained when incomers joined in and went on committees and the likes, they didn't like it. My argument was if they didn't like it why didn't they volunteer? Communities only get out what people put in (one of the reasons I like it so much here; the fantastic folk.) Sounds a little old fashioned I know but I was brought up to always be polite, friendly and offer help. It works and if you can make someones day then it's smileing eyes all the way. (Hmm, maybe I'm beginning to sound like Thumpers Mum!)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's nice having a sense of community- even when there are very few around, it's good to help each other out :).

I must confess I hate the "C" word (community). It smacks of "community leader" (self appointed busbybody), community organiser (self appointed busybody), community event (hideous street party for some absurd event).

I prefer "friends and neighbours". Sums up for me how I feel about my buddies round here. When you have few neighbours, you kind of need each other to help with heavy lifting, drive each other to hospital etc.!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I must confess I hate the "C" word (community). It smacks of "community leader" (self appointed busbybody), community organiser (self appointed busybody), community event (hideous street party for some absurd event).

I prefer "friends and neighbours". Sums up for me how I feel about my buddies round here. When you have few neighbours, you kind of need each other to help with heavy lifting, drive each other to hospital etc.!

It is an overused word, and yes there is nout worse than a busybody! Neighbours and friends is a better way of putting it.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
What was nice was that the forester who took over from me took up the challenge and did the same when I left, starting a wee tradition. Funny some places I've lived where there wasn't much of a community spirit, the locals complained when incomers joined in and went on committees and the likes, they didn't like it. My argument was if they didn't like it why didn't they volunteer? Communities only get out what people put in (one of the reasons I like it so much here; the fantastic folk.) Sounds a little old fashioned I know but I was brought up to always be polite, friendly and offer help. It works and if you can make someones day then it's smileing eyes all the way. (Hmm, maybe I'm beginning to sound like Thumpers Mum!)

That's nice he did that -good to help the older folk out- and hopefully people will do the same when the original helpers are older :).

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its more than fuel too. My missus takes cakes (hers) and jams and chutneys (mine) to our elderly neighbour. I think he likes the company as much as the produce. He has been very good to us too (still a farmer in his eighties although his son does most of the work). We don't get "in his face", but its surprising how often there is a spare cake to be delivered if we haven't seen him for a bit :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Its more than fuel too. My missus takes cakes (hers) and jams and chutneys (mine) to our elderly neighbour. I think he likes the company as much as the produce. He has been very good to us too (still a farmer in his eighties although his son does most of the work). We don't get "in his face", but its surprising how often there is a spare cake to be delivered if we haven't seen him for a bit :)

That's it really, elderly folk can get really isolated in more rural areas- I hope to have kind folk delivering me tasty cake and jam when I'm that old :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Another good thing if you get a chance to natter with an older generation is a sense of history about your environs. Can be handy when they point out resources like wild fruit, fungi, where to hunt and gather. All good stuff to learn and store away for adventures.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Another good thing if you get a chance to natter with an older generation is a sense of history about your environs. Can be handy when they point out resources like wild fruit, fungi, where to hunt and gather. All good stuff to learn and store away for adventures.

I've talked a bit with folk about who used to live in the house, and interesting knowledge about the history of the land etc- all interesting stuff! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Here are some pictures of the other barns for anyone that's interested :).

Oil room:

imagejpg1_zps3ffb9fbc.jpg

imagejpg2_zps55596fb6.jpg

Wood room:

imagejpg4_zps10927b6e.jpg

imagejpg1_zps6173f1c0.jpg

Middle barn:

imagejpg3_zpsab991c5f.jpg

Double height barn:

imagejpg4_zps0043daee.jpg

Barn above man cave and middle barn:

imagejpg1_zpscfc4f0a1.jpg

And there is my man cave also as in the original post :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE