Ouch!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Crossing the landing from the shower to the bedroom last night, I stubbed the two middle toes of my right foot, on the wife's blanket box.
After a few minutes of hopping around and cursing, I checked for damage. Nothing broken, but this morning they are swollen, and a lovely shade of purple, with the swelling and bruising going halfway up my instep. My wife has gone out to get some Arnica, as she swears by it, but I'm less sure about it. Does anyone here have any experience with it or know about it. Thanks in advance.
Colin.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
We used to use Witch Hazel jell for bruising when we had been sparring.
Think it was called Witch Doctor and worked a treat.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Just dont eat it, let the dog lick it off ( we KNOW about you and the 'toe thing' :) ) or apply to broken skin. That aside - its good stuff and very effective. I've found best to go to Equine Store type place and by a jar of something like Naff brand Arnica Gel for horses. About a tenth the cost of getting a fiddly little tube from the chemist.

Add in a tub of Witch Hazel and you're set to deal with most things short of brain surgery!

Also found the horse places do 'I Can't Believe Its Not Cod Liver Oil' - about a third the price of cod liver oil.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Ibuprofen gel works well for swelling, so do the tablets. Which hazel also works well as mentioned. Hope it gets better soon!

Tonyuk

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Methinks you may have broken something by the discription of the bruising, nothing lost getting it checked!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Crossing the landing from the shower to the bedroom last night, I stubbed the two middle toes of my right foot, on the wife's blanket box.
After a few minutes of hopping around and cursing, I checked for damage. Nothing broken......

That's good. If you'd broken that blanket box your wife might've been the one hopping and cursing. LOL. Seriously though, I hope you get some relief.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Did the same a couple of months back. Had it checked with an Osteopath. He reckoned there was a 60% chance it was broken. I've been told the NHS won't do anything with broken toes. I don't know if that is true as I didn't check it.

Whatever else it does Arnica won't do you any harm.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I break my toes every year! One or other foot, sometimes both and I have done for the last 9 years continuously. I'm not that clumsy, honest. It's just that I rarely wear shoes or socks as soon as it's warm enough at home.

First time I went to hospital and say about, got triaged and the nurse was kind enough to say. It's a 4 hour wait. We will X-ray you and confirm if it's broken, if it is we will tape it to the next toe.

Faced with that I persuaded her to part with some Micropore tape and did it myself at home.

Ibruprofen and Micropore.
b5fab767a489e0bc0d16c75df01c82b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
28c36797f3210eacfa54f82621598893.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Feel your pain. Managed to dislocate my little toe on a door frame, wanst pretty and had to pop it back in,,YUK>

Used to break fingers regularly playing basket ball and besides strap em and lots of pain killers there is nawt they will do.

Whiskey and heal fast.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I use arnica and it amazing! Usually works better if you apply it instantly but it works at anytime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ice the toes and foot. Check if any toes are broken ( sounds like not). Take it easy, sit in front of the telly and demand to be helped.
Tell wife to move the goddamn box as next times this happens it will be thrown out through the window.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Ice the toes and foot. Check if any toes are broken ( sounds like not). Take it easy, sit in front of the telly and demand to be helped.
Tell wife to move the goddamn box as next times this happens it will be thrown out through the window.

Be careful throwing the box from the window - fingers hurt as much as toes! :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for the kind words all.

That's good. If you'd broken that blanket box your wife might've been the one hopping and cursing. LOL.

That's for sure.:lmao:

That would be suicide. :lmao:

Hope it doesn't turn into Man Flu...

Hahaha, great clip, again that would be suicide. :lmao:

Just had another look at the foot, and I have to say that the Arnica seems to work, looks a lot less bruised and the swelling seems to have reduced some.
Not as bad as Countryman's pinkie though.

toes 002.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like a fracture to me. A sprain wouldn't produce that level of brusing and swelling. At least, that's what my doctor said two months ago when I busted my ankle and it swelled up and went purple.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Did the same a couple of months back. Had it checked with an Osteopath. He reckoned there was a 60% chance it was broken. I've been told the NHS won't do anything with broken toes. I don't know if that is true as I didn't check it.

Whatever else it does Arnica won't do you any harm.

I break my toes every year! One or other foot, sometimes both and I have done for the last 9 years continuously. I'm not that clumsy, honest. It's just that I rarely wear shoes or socks as soon as it's warm enough at home.

First time I went to hospital and say about, got triaged and the nurse was kind enough to say. It's a 4 hour wait. We will X-ray you and confirm if it's broken, if it is we will tape it to the next toe.

Faced with that I persuaded her to part with some Micropore tape and did it myself at home........

To be honest I was wondering what they actually could do anyway; seems like immobilizing it and pain relief are really about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE