Ouch,moan,eek,arrgh,yepl,grimm ace!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Woke up to another bout of kidney stones today and my word did it hurt this time, two Paramol did not touch the pain :(

Went to Watford A&E and after rolling around on the waiting room floor whining like little girl and got seen to straight away!

Top class service and I was loaded up with a Diclofenac enema and some Morphine when this did not work. The bliss of that narcotics pain relief is wonderful!

Went for a CT scan and the offending stone was only a few mm in size but should pass soon.

Folks, you DO NOT want one of these suckers:eek:

Steve.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You have my greatest sympathy.

Dad had a bout a few years back; he too was rolling on the floor.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Renal colic is fun is it not? :)
I used to have a couple of stays in hospital every year and carried oral Pethadine at all times - though in hospital I liked to ring the changes between diamorphine and Pethadine....
The largest stone I passed was 2mmx2.5mm with outcroppings of uric acid crystals - kinda pointy cystals they are .....
NHS said there was nothing I could do in the way of diet or lifestyle to avoid developing the stone except ensuring I drank lots (of anything!) to keep flushing the kidneys. That had little or no effect....
I now have a glug of a herbal brew - mixed up for me by a qualified herbalist - and have over the past 8 or so years had but one stone that gave me renal colic and a trip to the hospital.
I like herbal gloop...despite it tasting of rotting socks mixed with compost!
I still keep Pethadine at home though!
Good luck mate - I went through several (many!) years of the stone and would not wish it on anyone!
And as a side note I have been told by one who knows both that renal colic is worse than a tough go of childbirth ... so you will apreciate this is not just another blokey whinging!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Opal, that is another future thread, my trip to Snowdonia and an appreciation of all things wet!!

John, yes it's no fun. My last bout was working nights in Milton Keynes. My mate drove me to A&E or should I say got us completely lost with the endless roundabouts and by luck spotted an ambulance and followed them (like Del boy going to Holland!) but fortunately they were going to the Hospital and not to a call :D

I believe I get mine when I get dehydrated. Usually I am fastidious about fluid intake but slipped yesterday working on a project in the garage and didn't drink all day.

Steve.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Opal, that is another future thread, my trip to Snowdonia and an appreciation of all things wet!!

John, yes it's no fun. My last bout was working nights in Milton Keynes. My mate drove me to A&E or should I say got us completely lost with the endless roundabouts and by luck spotted an ambulance and followed them (like Del boy going to Holland!) but fortunately they were going to the Hospital and not to a call :D

I believe I get mine when I get dehydrated. Usually I am fastidious about fluid intake but slipped yesterday working on a project in the garage and didn't drink all day.

Steve.
The answer is to drink - vast quantities of beer!
1 - you flush the kidneys realy well (cheap lager is excellent for this ..if you can get past the foul taste...)
2 - the minor amount of alcahol acts as a pain killer - just look at a drunk falling over - no pain....
3 - life is one long party
4 - some of the side effects (loss of job, wife, and home etc) mean that you have lots of time to practice bushcraft skills (shelter-building and foraging - you will have no money for food or accomodation) while some (liver collapse etc) will show you what real pain is all about.... making any future renal colic dull to insignificance ....

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
A friend of mine had a whole load of kidney stones and they wouldn't pass, until he had eaten a large catering tin of curry beans. He suddenly bent over in pain and passed gas. The stones came out like a battling gun and killed the people standing behind him.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just talkin' to my missus about this, she works in the ossy and says they blast the stones. :Wow:
Luckily I have not had to have that and managed to pass all mine ...sonic stone destroying can cause its own probs as the structure of the kidney can be blasted as well - if not by miss aimed treatment then by stone fragments buzzing around....
It is a bit better than going under the knife though....
I am currently awaiting scans to see what a paticular "opaque shadow" on one of my kidneys is ...it does not present as a stone at present... though I kinda hope it is one!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The answer is to drink - vast quantities of beer!
1 - you flush the kidneys realy well (cheap lager is excellent for this ..if you can get past the foul taste...)
2 - the minor amount of alcahol acts as a pain killer - just look at a drunk falling over - no pain....
3 - life is one long party
4 - some of the side effects (loss of job, wife, and home etc) mean that you have lots of time to practice bushcraft skills (shelter-building and foraging - you will have no money for food or accomodation) while some (liver collapse etc) will show you what real pain is all about.... making any future renal colic dull to insignificance ....

He he, yes nothing gets the pee flowing like lager:D Don't fancy a knackered liver if it hurts worse than the stones:(

Steve.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
If you really want to squirm, just look up "Cutting for the stone".

Samuel Pepys had it done back in the mid 17th century when to even survive the operation was an achievement. Every year after that he held a celebration dinner to mark the operation.

You have my (and all of us I should think) sympathies!

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
My sympathies, got a wee touch of them myself this last couple of weeks. Drinking loads of water has eased it but I think beer is getting added to the intake

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
You've my sympathies too, I had one about two years back and the pain was like nothing I've experienced before. After a trip to A&E I was floating on a pleasent haze of drugs and passed the stone about 4 days later. Funny thing was it came out complete but I didn't even notice as I peed blood at the time and was so shocked to see that I didn't feel it or hear the ping of it hitting the toilet bowl!

Drinking gallons is the best thing and I was also told to take lemon juice each day, something to do with the citric acid breaking up the stones befopre they get big.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE