Otzi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
Dad got me a really cool Otzi flint knife at a bush craft thing somewhere this weekend. Which got me really interested in the story of Otzi and flint napping. Watched a load of documentaries on him yesterday. I really liked the sharpening thing he had with him for touching up his knife. So I will to make one of those to go with it later.

6C39F976-C050-494F-B0BA-C186E2B22565.jpegD57F9D13-3936-49C2-8685-390AB1A6A997.jpeg

The sheath on the top one is really cool, made out of salmon skin. That one isnt mine though yet. Mine is the smaller one.

9BD588D5-3BF0-422F-83B2-30BBD1B62E4C.jpeg

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The small Folio one is OK; it has the basic facts and information - but there is still a lot of discussion and disagreement about some of the 'facts'.

Dr. James Dilley did a video seminar on Otzi during lockdown (I can't find it on Youtube now), and that was very good - though still left many questions unanswered :)

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
I saw that first one.It looks like it has good pictures of his tools and stuff. But the reviews say it’s not very in-depth.

I will try and look for the Dr Dilleys seminar.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
Sounds like you have plans ;) :lmao:

Can't say I blame you as they're both lovely knives and salmon skin leather looks really cool.
I already pinched the sperm whale bone spear. But it will look good with the knife. They are really well made. Even the cords on them are all natural And made by the same chap. He has some massive skills

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I already pinched the sperm whale bone spear. But it will look good with the knife. They are really well made. Even the cords on them are all natural And made by the same chap. He has some massive skills
I don't blame you. it's a lovely item for sure?

Who was the guy who made them as if he's at the Wilderness Gathering I want to make sure I visit him.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
I’ll find out. Dad says he makes loads of stuff. Cow skin canoes, cordage, all traditional bone tools and flint stuff. He made a willow bark rope that he even abseiled with. it was more a display of skills tent, but dad convinced him to part with a few things as he has always wanted an Otzi style knife.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I did take one of his fliers. But I think I might have thrown it out with the bag. The man has epic talent, comes from Glasgow. His cordage is so spot on, it looks machine perfect. Fascinating fella. And yeah, he really abseiled with his willow rope to prove it could handle it. Looking at it though, I’d have no qualms using it either. He’s an outdoors survival instructor by trade. But makes bows, spears, harpoons, boats, atlatls, flint tools…. You name it.

Leave it with me and I’ll see if I can find his card.

Reactions: PoppyD

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I did take one of his fliers. But I think I might have thrown it out with the bag. The man has epic talent, comes from Glasgow. His cordage is so spot on, it looks machine perfect. Fascinating fella. And yeah, he really abseiled with his willow rope to prove it could handle it. Looking at it though, I’d have no qualms using it either. He’s an outdoors survival instructor by trade. But makes bows, spears, harpoons, boats, atlatls, flint tools…. You name it.

Leave it with me and I’ll see if I can find his card.
Even without the flyer you sent me I recognised from your description who that is and yes, Patricks' work is outstanding to say the very least. :)

Reactions: Man of Tanith

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
That’s an understatement, I could have spent hours looking over his table. Given me the urge to step up my game when it comes to cordage.

You were only interested in his pants! :lmao:

In all seriousness though Patrick’s work is incredible! He must have spent hours fashioning everything and chatting with him he was just a really nice chap too.

He does some pretty epic courses as well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE