Otzi challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Ok Folks - my latest project (without having finished any of the others...obviously!) is to collect/make/build an Otzi-style prehistoric loadout and spend at least a night out, Abo-style. So...any ideas where I can get/swap some iron pyrites and some flint? The Peaks are not so good for this! I plan to re-create his fire-making kit (can't find any evidence for wood-on-wood fire making in prehistoric Europe anywhere), maybe his backpack, his flint knife (or maybe a copper one) and maybe his shoes. Eventually a complete Late Neolithic outfit would be great for school visits. Any ideas and or help? I'm willing to swap some leather goods, atl-atls or darts etc.

Oh, and I plan to do my own version of the 'Daniel Boone' challenge, except prehistoric stylee, so:-
1. Use suitable tools - stone, bone, wood, antler - where possible - try to avoid big clompy boots, metal or plastic cooking or cutting gear etc.
2. Make something 'prehistoric' using appropriate tools - carve, cord, sew, make something.
3. Cook and eat something suitable, using no metal containers to cook in - roast hazelnuts, potage, ponassing fish - and keep drinks suitable (that means no wine, but beer would be ok)
4. You can bring food, a fire ember, pre-prepared 'hides' (tarps) to sleep under, cordage etc. - prehistoric people were clearly well-organised and pre-prepared.

Ede

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Great challenge, good luck with it. I've done the Boone challenge a couple of times now, (again at the end of the month.) it really makes you reconsider your kit and carry method. Will you be using the Otzi back pack frame?

index.jpg

Or a Roycroft frame?

Last edited:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Ebay? The trouble is that I started looking for chunks of iron pyrites and discovered that sometimes pyrites ammonites are found. I have a vision of using one of them as the pyrites part of a firemaking kit, just for the sheer pleasure of it.

Cavegirl

Mar 21, 2015
Morecambe
Hi Ede

I'm just a wee bit jealous of your project :) Sounds awesome!

I'm providing you a link to a geological article on the minerals local to the Peak District. Page 23 has a good amount about possible locations for pyrites though you might need to get landowners permissions to access certain areas:

http://www.pdmhs.com/PDFs/ScannedBu...nerals of the Peak District of Derbyshire.pdf

With regard to flint I could help you by posting you a couple of flakes if that's of any use. Feel free to pm me if so.

You should also have a good look at the Flag Fen articles online as this site dates from about the same time as Utzi and has some of the best preserved wood and bone artefacts in Europe.

All the best
CG.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jacqui Woods examined the remains of Oetzi's kit and re-constructed his clothing…..the grass cape and shoe linings are not to be discounted.
JW also raised doubts about the pack, and there are those who consider the hoop to be the remains of snow shoes.

As ever, interpretation is important.

Fire by friction is known in the Mediterranean area from mesolithic
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19168047

and I know of good clear evidence from Scotland of hearthboards that have survived in wet conditions that date back at least 2,500 years…..that's boards with clear holes bored just as we do now.

Best of luck with your challenge; I hope it's both fun and interesting to do :D

cheers,
Toddy

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
For a bunch of good information on this check out Mr Black on U Tube. He has several videos including how to make the copper ax.
He also has several threads on Bushcraft USA about Otzi, Including a dream trip where he plans to Scale Mt. Whitney i Otzi Kit.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A local beach has an abundance of iron pyrites. I collected a couple of dozen in about half hour. I'm sure I could drop one or two in the post with a stamp on them...

J

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have pondered reconstructing Otzi's kit a few times. As you say, it is perfect for schools and demand to that period is high at the moment.

From a living history point of veiw we have a superb snapshot of one man and his equipment at one moment of time. (Most reconstructions have to be put together from collections of disparate artefacts spread over both time and distance.)

As Mary says, interpretations do vary and the publication of new data from Otzi seems sporadic at best.

i will be very interested to see how you progress.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Thanks folks - I knew I could count on you! I'm going to start with 'generic early bronze age/chalcolithic man', and work up to Otzi. Splashed out on some flint knapping kit, will be making some basketry knife sheaths, quivers etc etc to start, plus scanning local charity shops for suitable leather and wool goods. Will start with a roycroft backpack - maybe go for the snowshoe reconstruction later, as nobody else seems to have done that yet. I also intend at some point to have an Abo night out sometime.

Quixoticgeek - I will PM you
Ede

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
The journey begins! Next: turn flakes into tools and arrowheads, then haft a knife and weave a sheath. Trying to source wool and/or buckskin for the outfit.

17046973664_6b0aa15043_z.jpg

Last edited:

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Sooo, bronze age pot (to cook in) or copper axe next? I want to also make/buy a simple wooden bowl to make some Flag Fen syle ember-stone nettle soup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE