Otter watching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rumi

Forager
I have been tracking a pair of otters whose range is in the vicinity of where I live. This morning I got the rare treat of finding a fish kill less than 4 hours old.

I will post photos shortly.

All that remained of a fish approximately 250-300mm long was the head and shoulders and the tail and a few inches of tale vertebrae stripped of meat and a few other scraps. I usually find crayfish remains or scraps of much older fish kill. Though there were no clear prints in mud there was plenty of other evidence.

It was clear where the otter had climbed out and where it had returned to the water. At the water re-entry point there were small scraps of meat (10-20mm) in the water. There was one small track in the loose path surface formed by its rear foot.

4fMlgk7sOpIlmUzsipdVUuXpdU8YhxqW7-GBpOC8tlA

The point at which the otter came ashore is to the left and where it re-entered is to the lft of the flag iris at the right. There is a clear drag mark on the loose gravel in the center of the picture.

qb46R3sTfeTcTcK2dWd52OXpdU8YhxqW7-GBpOC8tlA

This is the tail bone described above

a956pKtFHwi-Rx4QJgalnOXpdU8YhxqW7-GBpOC8tlA

Spot the otter track?

yQrvDvWkJDMF-PG1ASHe7eXpdU8YhxqW7-GBpOC8tlA

the head.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have been tracking a pair of otters whose range is in the vicinity of where I live. This morning I got the rare treat of finding a fish kill less than 4 hours old.

I will post photos shortly.

All that remained of a fish approximately 250-300mm long was the head and shoulders and the tail and a few inches of tale vertebrae stripped of meat and a few other scraps. I usually find crayfish remains or scraps of much older fish kill. Though there were no clear prints in mud there was plenty of other evidence.

It was clear where the otter had climbed out and where it had returned to the water. At the water re-entry point there were small scraps of meat (10-20mm) in the water. There was one small track in the loose path surface formed by its rear foot.

DSC01737.JPG

The point at which the otter came ashore is to the left and where it re-entered is to the lft of the flag iris at the right. There is a clear drag mark on the loose gravel in the center of the picture.

DSC01732.JPG

This is the tail bone described above

DSC01733.JPG

Spot the otter track?

DSC01734.JPG

the head.

Here you go chap, edited to show pics.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Excellent stuff. I love tracking otters as they present a unique challenge. Some good sign you've uncovered there.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Good pics.
I noticed that the eyes have gone from the fish. I'm wondering if the otter hoiked them out or some other creature like a crow or rook came in and took them.

Rumi

Forager
Im not sure this is was done by an otter as it happened over night and then there was heavy rain which seems to have obliterated any tracks. These pictures were taken by a canal lock in an area which is pretty much in the center of the same pair of otters range. There had been an ants nest here with some large black ants 3-5mm in length. There were a few grubs left which were being evacuated. The Grubs were about 5-8mm in length and 2-3mm in diameter.

I have not know otters to dig up ants nests though there was obviously a large amount of good food there.

DSC01755.JPG

DSC01754.JPG

DSC01753.JPG

If anyone has any ideas?

Rumi

Forager
I wondered about that, the upper part of the lock has a large weir which is fished by a heron. This did cross my mind as a possibility.

The other bird life on this stretch also includes a breading pair of kingfishers and then there are the ubiquitous ducks and a family of swans.

To be honest I really doubt it would have been otters as there is plenty of other food in this area.

Rumi

Forager
More from these Oxford Otters..

pathway.JPG

All along the canal are places where the Otters are going in and out of the water. Note the spraint in the middle of the path above.

Spraint.JPG

This spraint in close up with a track to the left in the spraint!

I am almost certain that I now know where the Holt is and will be cautiously investigating tomorrow.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You did a good job there; my way of otter watching is to go to a place where there is lots, and let them come to me

Rumi

Forager
What a rich and fruitful afternoon. I spent 3 hours looking for an otter (lutra Lutra) holt based on a hunch. I have been tracking these otters for little while but until now I have been folloing behind by about 3-4 hours. As it has been so dry I have found few tracks. I have come across a few fish kills and some crayfish heads and claws and a small numbe of spraints.

I live in the heart of wetlands, with readbeds, river and streams, several lakes and ponds. It is a rich mature environment, by mature I mean there is a great deal of habitat diversity, the river banks are rich in vegetation and cover. There is a section of land between the river and lake approximately 12m wide and 150m long. It is relatively isolated, few humans go there and as I expected was criss crossed by otter trails freshly marked with spraints and where ther was som mud tracks. Using a stick to investigate and being careful not to touch anything a thorough investigation revealed a latrine, and 2 different types of spraints.

The photos here are mainly of spraints, the environment, tracks and pathways. I am planning to return to the site at dusk for an observation sometime next week

Both types of spraint are almost completly odourless. The gray spraint has slightly liqourice odour whereas the reddish-brown spraint which is packed with crayfish shells is really nondescript in odour. Its incredible really that considering the richness of the diet

bc1.JPG

DSC00021.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00025.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

Last edited:

Rumi

Forager
It seems based on the reports Im getting that there are a pair of otters in the same range. The tracking has been very interesting, and a real test of skill. These otters are truly urban. I have found spraints right into the heart of the city.

Jul 15, 2010
Sherwood Forest
I'd love to find a successful breeding pair and be able to take some pictures.

I could sit and watch them all day long, they're my favourite of all mammals.

Here's one I took a while back (none wild unfortunately)
DSC_7500.jpg

ATB

I hope you manage to rattle of a few hundred shots :D

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have heard that they are now present on the windrush close to Witney, and would like to have a wander along the riverbank sometime to see if i can spot any - i dont really know where to start to be honest! Is there a best time of day to spot them? Do they tend to wander great distances or stay in one particular area? I have come across fish kills similar to the pic above so cant be too far away from them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE