Oripods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Hello,

my good friend Pete, AKA Ogrithetrog, recently made an Ogripod, along the lines of a peapod style outer shell for you, your hammock and your sleeping bag. After my last winter Bushmoot, back in December, where I managed to freeze during the night, I thought, I'm going to need another sleeping bag, or an underblanket, or something else.

So in the last one or two weeks, I've been putting together my own Ogripod, it's made from an old king size duvet, which is 10 tog, then covered in DPM camo material, with a nice big zip, to easily gain access, and provide ventilation.

The ends are just pulled together, again to allow some air flow.

I'm planning on using it this weekend, at the Welshmoot in West Wales, and I'm really hoping I'm going to be toasty.............

Wish me luck, and I'll drop anotehr report in after the weekend.

Here's a couple of pics to show how it looks hung up in my back yard....

Ogripod03.jpg

Ogripod04.jpg

What do you reckon? your comments would be appreciated :)

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks Phil,

It was a bit chilly at the christmas moot, but i only had a Nanook 0 and most of my cloths on, biggest problem I had was the hammock kept flapping open and letting out any heat built up.

This pod is well toasty though, so with a bit of luck I'll get some sleep too, instead of shivering all night :lmao:

Myself and Ogri are off to the Welshmoot tomorrow, should be a good laugh, which ones are you aiming to get along to? we're definately going to the summer moot in Merthyr Mawr, thats a superb venue, and there's so much to be learnt by some great people, well worth the trip down to sunny Wales!

Be good to see you again....

Hi Steve,
Re: - Christmas Moot - I was toasty in my Nanok -10 which was inside a Nanok 0 and the BCUK Underblanket :cool:

I kinda have an action packed year with lots of small meet, Summer Moot, Wilderness Gathering, Islay Journeyman course, Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft <taking my Dad away for a week> and then Norway in December - plus something else will turn I expect ;)

Hope to see you guys again during the year though - send my regards to Ogri please :D

Phil.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks good - I hope to see it in the flesh this w/e
Me - I prefer the floor unless the ground is flooded or heaving with insects!
I guess I may bring my hammock just in case!
It is p*ss*ng down here in W Wales at the mo and more is forcast for FRi and Sat.... and here is me with a T P coming tomorrow for test and review - decissions......I hate em!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Having seen these Oripods in action this w/end at the Welsh moot I was very inpressed with how well they are made and the ingenuity that went into them.
Good one Pete aka Ogri the Trog! and Steve aka Queeg9000:You_Rock_

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Hi Steve,
Re: - Christmas Moot - I was toasty in my Nanok -10 which was inside a Nanok 0 and the BCUK Underblanket :cool:

I kinda have an action packed year with lots of small meet, Summer Moot, Wilderness Gathering, Islay Journeyman course, Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft <taking my Dad away for a week> and then Norway in December - plus something else will turn I expect ;)

Hope to see you guys again during the year though - send my regards to Ogri please :D

Phil.

My God man when do you actually go to work! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks Greg,

I'll need to make mine a bit roomier, before I use it again, a bit of unpicking, and add a few inches in, because I felt just a little too confined, still it was very warm and not too bad for a first off!

Looking forward to some more moots, and I expect Ogri and myself will try the pods again at his place soon.....

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
queeg9000 said:
Thanks Greg,

I'll need to make mine a bit roomier, before I use it again, a bit of unpicking, and add a few inches in, because I felt just a little too confined, still it was very warm and not too bad for a first off!

Looking forward to some more moots, and I expect Ogri and myself will try the pods again at his place soon.....
You can count on it Buddy.
And, yes, given some time, I'll be making some adjustments to mine as well.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE