Original Bowie knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
To be brutally honest Solingen Knives are pretty mediocre quality wise, ....useless in the field. The steel is of low quality, never keeps a sharp edge & liable to break under shock. As it is a treasured possession my advice to you would be, sharpen it by all means but to keep it as a collectors piece & not as a user.

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense!
Do you have a working knowledge of ALL the Solingen makers to make such a sweeping generalisation?
I've owned and handled some blades with Sheffield stamped on them that could best be described as Monkey Metal.. Doesn't mean that every blade from that area is the same!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You're absolutely right Red & Culloch, that was far too a sweeping statement, so let me re-phrase it...........all the Solingen knives I have had, used, seen & handled were pretty mediocre, quality wise ..........etc.
That said, if someone does have a gooden I'd be interested to hear about it. one that can be used in the field that is, not a kitchen knife.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mine was a 6" Bowie with the obligatory stag handle. Great knife for sveral years until it disappeared after I enlisted.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
if someone does have a gooden I'd be interested to hear about it. one that can be used in the field that is, not a kitchen knife.

One of my favourite folding knives is a (mint) Puma 935 passed on to me by a mate who bought when posted to Germany

Puma 953 Main blade by British Red, on Flickr

Puma 953 saw by British Red, on Flickr

I had a Puma Bowie for a long time as well

Puma Bowie 2 by British Red, on Flickr

Nothing wrong at all with Puma steel or heat treat. Fit and finish is great.

Both from Puma in Solingen - which has a very good reputation

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Thanks guys, never heard of Puma before & they certainly look far superior to the knives I'm familiar with..........I was always under the impression (wrongly) that Soligen was a brand in it's self. It's been a long time since I had any knives from there as I have been sorely disappointed & can't remember the actual brand names of them,(if indeed they had any) certainly wasn't Puma though, judging by the quality & not hand made either.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
No drama here fella, it's our ability to acknowledge our mistakes, learn & move forward that allows us to evolve!
I like to think that I can learn something from everyone, sometimes I come away disappointed but most people reassure my faith....
glad you found the link of interest!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed not a problem - Solingen is a bit like "Sheffield" on a knife - pretty meaningless really - I have handled some really cruddy Sheffield knives - and some beauties!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Razors from Solingen are the same, some shoddy work but some absolute stunners as well. some of my favourite straights are Solingen and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Nice Bowie, great to have a knife off your dad! I'd sharpen it and use it for light to normal tasks and enjoy it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE