Original Bowie knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Hi all

I have just been given an original Bowie knife with an antler handle but the very tip of the blade is broken off as someone users it as a pry bar.

Any ideas as how to put the tip back on?

It has been bench grinded to a rough point, is it just a case of sharping it loads on a waterstone ?

Any ideas?

Cheers JB

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
zenera4y.jpg
rapeje5u.jpg

Hope these work!?!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It looks fine. Point would sharpen up either with stones if you have a good coarse one to start if not then emery paper stuck to a board starting say 120 grit then working down 240, 400, 600 1000 then on to your fine stones.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
With you saying any ideas how to put it back on i thought you mean't it had 'snapped off':D

nice bowie and as robin says its easy to sort out.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Yeah ha it was worse than I remember! Feel a bit daft now !! Cheers gents might put a new handle on it on day it has a bit of a random feel to it, I will probably never use it in the bush as it was my dads

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
It's stainless steel, think its just the light am afraid the blade is stamped with

Original Bowie knife then a German stamp of some sort and a number think 101 will double check later on

I don't know anything about Bowie really

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
I agree with Robbi. Dont re handle it It would ruin it ! That's how it is meant to look with the age it has. In fact I wouldnt do anything to it apart from sharpening.

Ok it will stay as it is !! Would hate to ruin it I will post more pics later if any on is interested to see more

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Would a real Bowie knife be made in Germany ?.............looks a bit like something from Solingen...
Good looking knife though.............has it got a sheath.?

Mar 14, 2012
uk
I agree with Robbi. Dont re handle it It would ruin it ! That's how it is meant to look with the age it has. In fact I wouldnt do anything to it apart from sharpening.

+3 looks great as it is and i like that handle so why change it! ;D just start sharpening on 400 grit diamond stone or the very coarsest you want to start with is 200 grit sandpaper on a block

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
IIRC the Colonel himself preferred a rounded tip as it didn't lose any penetration and allowed a reverse (backhand) cut without the point snagging. Nice blade John, I'd suggest sending it to Longstrider & letting him work his magic over it!
It'll come back refreshed & so atom splitting sharp you might change your mind about using it!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
To be brutally honest Solingen Knives are pretty mediocre quality wise, ....useless in the field. The steel is of low quality, never keeps a sharp edge & liable to break under shock. As it is a treasured possession my advice to you would be, sharpen it by all means but to keep it as a collectors piece & not as a user.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To be brutally honest Solingen Knives are pretty mediocre quality wise, ....useless in the field. The steel is of low quality, never keeps a sharp edge & liable to break under shock. As it is a treasured possession my advice to you would be, sharpen it by all means but to keep it as a collectors piece & not as a user.

Wow - every knife produced in an entire region of Germany has exactly the same metallurgy and heat treat I suppose? Much the same way that all Sheffield knives are identical irrespectiive of maker, steel and heat treat.

That really is a startlingly educated insight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE