Ores and minerals

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I need some British ores, useable small pieces that I can show and tell, demonstrate with and potentially use for mordants and the like.

I will buy, or barter, or barter+p&p costs for

Tin,
Copper,
Jet,
Cannel coal,
haematitic iron
Alum,
Serpentinite,
Marcasite,
chromate of iron

Any other interesting offers will be thoughtfully received and considered

I am a Full Member and though I'll shift this into Members Classified shortly, I thought it appropriate for a little while in DIY and Traditional Crafts because of the people who read this forum.

cheers folks,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Ah! you just reminded me, there's a bag of jet here with your name on it. There's two types, rough stuff straight out the shale cliffs at Whitby, and some polished pebble like bits that have been washing around among the pebbles for a year or two. I'll get them in the post for you.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh brilliant :D
Barter and p&p ? Linen thread ? Wool or linen cloth ? or wax jacket fabric available too. or have you another suggestion?

atb,
Mary

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Oh brilliant :D
Barter and p&p ? Linen thread ? Wool or linen cloth ? or wax jacket fabric available too. or have you another suggestion?

atb,
Mary

Wait till Lanark and we can sort something out then. I have a wee bag of the same for Barrie.
In the meantime I'll put it in the post. Don't worry about postage, I still have a couple of books of stamps left from the last time.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Cannel coal is a type of shale. It's black and is found in coal mines (usually at the top of a seam). It is frequently used for carving. Many miners passed their spare time carving lumps of it into beautiful ornaments. It can also be turned on a lathe. If I get my hands on a big lump I'm going to turn bracelets in the iron age style. It can be polished to a high gloss just like jet.

Eric

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Cannel coal is a type of shale. It's black and is found in coal mines (usually at the top of a seam). It is frequently used for carving. Many miners passed their spare time carving lumps of it into beautiful ornaments. It can also be turned on a lathe. If I get my hands on a big lump I'm going to turn bracelets in the iron age style. It can be polished to a high gloss just like jet.

Eric

Just across the glen from my house is a hill called the Green Hill. Its made of serpentine and a local gamekeeper carved superb pieces from that. Sounds just like cannel coal.:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Happy Egg :D

Eric thank you, we'll talk later :You_Rock_

Fred, yes please :D, I need to empty my pm box (again :eek: ) but your serpentinite is ( I think) the same band that erupts at the shore at Port Soy, and if it is, I'd love some. I'm working in Inverness all next week too.
The Strontian lead would be an excellent example too.
I'm trying to put together a small kit of of the minerals that our ancestors exploited, with a few items made from those resources, that I can use when I'm working with schoolchildren. I'll be in touch shortly. :beerchug:

Spamel cannel coal is as Eric described, examples of it are found from Neolithic onwards, carved into jewellery and the like. Bangles in particular. Shiny black, lightweight and beautiful :)
I actually wonder about using it to make knife scales ? Serpentinite can be used like soapstone for dishes and pots, but the cannel coal burns.
The name, Cannel coal, is supposed to be a corruption of candle coal since it burns with a very clear bright light.

cheers,
M

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Serpentinite can be used like soapstone for dishes and pots.

Oooh! There's me been wondering how I can not only get hold of some soapstone, but how to justify it historically. So, serpintinite carves relatively easily? I need to make some fairly primitive fat lanterns. Would this stuff do, and if so where can I get some chunks?

If I can get some, I can turn some of these:
GreenSerpentineBracelets.jpg

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Steatite is the native soapstone, there's some on the Northern isles I believe. No idea where else in the UK though :dunno:

Port Soy marble is the Serpentinite I know of, and it's beautiful stuff. I comes out pale green, dark green with deep red veins or kind of blood red with greenish veins. It was used for the fireplaces at the palace of Versailles......and I've carved it with a pocket knife :D

cheers,
M

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Are you interested in iron pyrite nodules... historically in this part of the country used for making copperas (green vitriol, or iron sylphate).....thence for the dyeing industry? although where you come from, marcasite may well have been used. I haven't got any at the moment but if you are interested I will start looking on the beach.

Nick.

Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
Are you interested in iron pyrite nodules... historically in this part of the country used for making copperas (green vitriol, or iron sylphate).....thence for the dyeing industry? although where you come from, marcasite may well have been used. I haven't got any at the moment but if you are interested I will start looking on the beach.

Nick.

Hello, KIMBOKO - I'm living in Holland, and pretty desperate for some iron pyrite nodules for firestarting. At the moment I am considering a train and boat day-trip to come to the uk beaches to look, but it's a rather expensive junket and a seven hour trip each way; if you could possibly send me some nodules I'd be happy to pay for the postage.

I can also offer for a swap either some nice pieces of tinder fungus (f.f.) ready to use for firestarting, or an antler or two.

all the best

Al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE