Opportunity to rent woodland near Belvoir Castle, Leicestershire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
We rent White rose Wood from a land owner at about the figure above and have to pay for our PLI ourselves. We have yet to have a year where we at least break even but it is the price you pay to have somewhere where you can go as much or as little as you like. if you are not getting access to the woods at any time of your liking, i would not pay a yearly rental and would insist its a charge of £5 a night PP and the land owner collect the takings at the end of each meet weekend. Our rental will be due soon and we haven't even re-cooped half the yearly rental fee and that is with out the PLI. Hope this information helps you make a decision on what to do.

I would also like to add we have just about as much free rain of the woods as we would like only real stipulation in no taking down live trees. We are allowed ground fires but only have one communal ground fire personal fires must be raised. we have also got a bio toilet that is moved every few meets.

I would also advise you have a written contract clearly outlining what you can and cant do and clearly states how payment is made and what access you are allowed.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That looks an ideal spot but..... before you step in make sure that ALL the funding is in hand before you sign any contract and don't rely on promises or you could well end up funding a lot of the project yourself. This is a professional estate and they will make sure all their T's are crossed and the I's dotted so you need to do the same your end.

Good luck with the project :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Karl, Realearner and Rik - thanks for your practical advice/help.

At the moment the 'pay £5 per night when used' looks to be the only option - assuming Belvoir Estates will accept that - as only a very small number are expressing any interest:

Elines
Woof
Bushcraftsman
Turbogirl
Shaggystu

And possibly Karl - but I guess you are already committed to White Rose Woods and so wouldn't be interested in a site at Belvoir.

If I have included anybody by mistake please feel free to delete your names from the list.

Anybody else who is interested - in the time honoured fashion - please copy the latest version of the list, add your name to it and post it up.

I will wait until 24 March to see how many people express an interest and then I will decide what I do next.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Chris I would be interested in attending when I can, but I can't put money up front on a second venue. Best of luck getting this sorted. Have a good holiday.

Sent from my Baobab Tree.

Cliv

Forager
Nov 15, 2008
Preston
Elines
Woof
Bushcraftsman
Turbogirl
Shaggystu
karl82 - possible
ged
Briabtrubshaw
TheNative
Cliv - Possible

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Chris,

I'm in the same boat as the others, paying for the Rosewood Meet woodland, but I'll attend when possible.

Elines
Woof
Bushcraftsman
Turbogirl
Shaggystu
karl82 - possible
ged
Briabtrubshaw
TheNative
Cliv - Possible
MartinK9 -Possible

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ok........ now back from Italy.

Thanks to those so far expressing an interest.

At this stage looking more like some form of occasional casual use WITHOUT any contract/annual payment but if so then remains to be seen if Belvoir Estate are interested in that.

My position remains as:

I will wait until 24 March to see how many people express an interest and then I will decide what I do next.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just a tidy up

'Probables' = might be able to commit to a formal agreement type of use

'Possibles' = know that can't commit to a formal agreement type of use

'Probables'

Elines
Woof
Bushcraftsman
Turbogirl
Shaggystu
ged
Briabtrubshaw
TheNative
Reverend Graham

'Possibles'

karl82 - Possible
Cliv - Possible
MartinK9 -Possible

Sall - I agree with you re casual use being best option if available - could be that we might be able to arrange that with another user who has a formal agreement with the Estate, rather than with the Estate directly.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ok ..... my interpretation of the responses is that it won't be worth trying to arrange some type of formal agreement so a more informal one seems most suitable for us BUT .......... whether or not Belvoir Estate will wear that remains to be seen. .......................... I will contact them this week but may be later rather than earlier as I have a lot on at the moment ......... (sorry for odd spacing - still can't get my 'enter' key to generate paragraphs)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Really appreciate the work you're putting in here, Chris :) Don't be disheartened if they say no, tis after all, a commercial operation for them but I reckon you're tops for giving it a go :)

joewalton1989

Mar 23, 2013
Leicester
Is this still in the pipeline, I realise I'm a day late for said cut off.
I'm new to all this and would relish somewhere to learn in a constructive environment
My only problem is I work alternate weekends alternating shift patterns (ie 8-3 sat 3-10 sun, then following weekend in work 3-10 sat 8-3 sun) so may pose a problem for attendance.

Elines
Woof
Bushcraftsman
Turbogirl
Shaggystu
karl82 - possible
ged
Briabtrubshaw
TheNative
Joe -

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE