opinions on dog hunting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
[...but don't take any notice of him, he's just miffed 'cause he didn't realise he was supposed to be in a simple hierarchical group structure without subtlety or variation & in theory because he's the biggest, he should be boss.............

No, I didn't say the "biggest." I said, "...the biggest BADDEST sob in the pack..." Obviously he ain't the BADDEST sob in the pack.

BTW. I didn't come to any conclusion at all. What I have done is observe probably over 200-300 dogs over the past half century. The results have NEVER deviated. Every instance I described was personally witnessed.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why dogs & not guns.?......hunting with dogs is more hands on, you're also working in tandem with the dog(s) trying to out wit the prey, it is more violent, more bloody & prehaps satisfies some of our more base primitive impulses.........hunting with guns is more clinical, mechanical,colder, distant.......prehaps it could be likened to an execution.........as for which is better or more humaine, who can objectively say ?

We're in total agreement here.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
I hate using dogs, but here in the swamps, a man can not walk through water with water moccasian snake and large eastern diamondback rattlesnakes. the saw palmetto has razor saw teeth and will literally cut you to pieces, so they have to use dogs to drive out the deer. In places like this I am okay with it, but in the open woods all it does, is make the deer bed down during day, and they only come out at night, which here is illegal to hunt during night hours. So you spend all that time in the woods of limited days to hunt and here come someone''s elses dog to run away your deer. nontagged dogs are legally killed here if found chasing deer. i dont agree with children seeing that in a park, it is out of content, but people and their dogs I will never understand. They believe they are intitled to chew your shoes, jump on you inyour work clothes with muddy feet, poop in your yard chasing your cat. I really dont get people. I just broke up with a girl whose daughter was mualed by her own dog. I had to rush to the doctors to get her medical help. her daughter almost bled to death, but got in under control. many stitches, and the woman i was dating cant understand why they must put the dog under, she blames daughter and cared more about the dog than her own daughter. I seriously ended that relationship. I dont hate dog, I dont like disrespectful owners who believes everyone loves their dog as much as they love them. well I dont.

Last edited:

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
For those of you reading this who are interested in taking up fieldsports, particularly young people, I would implore you not to form an opinion on any form of hunting, particulalry that carried out with dogs, until you have actually spoken to someone first hand face-to-face who runs working dogs, such as a terrierman from a recognised fell hunt or such rather than reading stuff like this, on the internet :togo: A good place to start would be the Midland Game Fair at Weston Park, Shropshire, from 16th-18th August goodjob

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you aren't hunting with a dog----then you aren't really hunting----You're only sniping. As for shooting at my dog; that's the same as shooting at me. Fire will be returned.

BTW. Down here where the saw palmettos grow it's NOT legal to shoot dogs because they are un-tagged. Don't know where you got that bit of info. You CAN shoot them (tagged, untagged or otherwise) if they are attacking/threatening/harrassing a person or domestic livestock.

Last edited:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I've never heard of using the actual dog as the hunting weapon. We had a Springer that was awesome on pheasant, pure poetry to hunt with. On occasion she would point on a bird and catch it on the flush. If it was a male (ringneck only law in our area) we would snap it's neck and consider it a freebie. She would go off on her own and bring back soggy pheasants all the time, all perfectly healthy until we got them. She did the same with box turtles as well. She never hurt them just sat and watched them until they came out then she'd swat them on the back and continue watching.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Dogs have certain traits bred into them to serve a purpose.
I'll never understand someone keeping a dog for posturing or keeping them indoors for that matter.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I hate using dogs, but here in the swamps, a man can not walk through water with water moccasian snake and large eastern diamondback rattlesnakes. the saw palmetto has razor saw teeth and will literally cut you to pieces, so they have to use dogs to drive out the deer. In places like this I am okay with it, but in the open woods all it does, is make the deer bed down during day, and they only come out at night, which here is illegal to hunt during night hours. So you spend all that time in the woods of limited days to hunt and here come someone''s elses dog to run away your deer. nontagged dogs are legally killed here if found chasing deer. i dont agree with children seeing that in a park, it is out of content, but people and their dogs I will never understand. They believe they are intitled to chew your shoes, jump on you inyour work clothes with muddy feet, poop in your yard chasing your cat. I really dont get people. I just broke up with a girl whose daughter was mualed by her own dog. I had to rush to the doctors to get her medical help. her daughter almost bled to death, but got in under control. many stitches, and the woman i was dating cant understand why they must put the dog under, she blames daughter and cared more about the dog than her own daughter. I seriously ended that relationship. I dont hate dog, I dont like disrespectful owners who believes everyone loves their dog as much as they love them. well I dont.

Another case of the owner not training her dog, child, Themselves and bringing balance to the pack

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
santaman2000 i got that bit of info from the law themselves, Department of Natural Resources, since I had a trouble with wild dogs on my land. They came out and even saw the issue themselves, and shot a couple. That is how I know it is legal. If a dog is even hunting on your land without permission you can kill it they said, but I would not doing that with a tag dog. I understand people love their animals, but if they dont respect others lands, I got no problem shooting their animals. A tag dog I will contact land owners then DNR, for illegal hunting, the second time will be a warning and 3rd time they are a gonner. wild dogs are killed on the spot, period. we just had a pack mauled some kids in Columbia South Carolina. They and the Russian boar are getting way out of hand down here.
you can shot deer legal as well anytime of the year if you get a state permitted and prove they are eating your crops. My family would get these permittes and we hunt them year round. they can destroy soybean, cornfield very quickly.
I not against dogs, like someone said on here, another owner not training their dogs. People are so senstive about their dog and forget about humans. They protec an animal which in the bible God said to kill out if they are mauling people. it is a God giving right to kill dangerous animals.
Wolfhounds were used to hunt out wolves in Europe, along with all the other breeds that hunted rats, etc.

Southerns use dogs to hunt rabbit, squirrel, ESPECIALLY Raccoons, Snipe Birds, Ducks, geese, and yes Deer// they need to use them to hunt out the Russian Boars here, they are extremely dangerous animals, and making a hugh problem for my family as framers. My cousin is the man who Shot HOGZILLA HOG in Alapaha Georgia. That is my family, as you probably seen on TV,.http://www.spike.com/video-clips/lgd8jx/national-geographic-channel-explorer-hogzilla

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
santaman2000 i got that bit of info from the law themselves, Department of Natural Resources, since I had a trouble with wild dogs on my land. They came out and even saw the issue themselves, and shot a couple...

They were mistaken. I have made arrests for that offense myself. The judge wasn't impressed with the claim, "they were on my land."

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...wild dogs are killed on the spot, period. we just had a pack mauled some kids in Columbia South Carolina. They and the Russian boar are getting way out of hand down here...they need to use them to hunt out the Russian Boars here, they are extremely dangerous animals, and making a hugh problem for my family as framers. My cousin is the man who Shot HOGZILLA HOG in Alapaha Georgia...

-There are NO Russian Boars in the Southern US. All wild hogs are feral hogs (domestic hogs that were released and/or escaped generations ago and have since reverted to their wild state) That includes "Hogzilla. You're perfect correct that they are totally out of control. They are a non-native, invasive species that is incredibly destructive.

-Wild dogs are perfectly legal to shoot on site (see wild boar above, the same philosophy applies)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never heard of using the actual dog as the hunting weapon...

It's not universal but it's common here in the South Pict. At least for coons, possums and hogs (with hogs it's also common for the hunter to join the dogs with a knife at the kill) It was common for foxes as well back before foxes became protected. Many Beagle devotees also like to use them to chase and kill rabbits although this segment is dwindling. Except for rabbits with Beagles, all the other dog hunting described above was/is done at night although boar might be hunted that way day or night.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Sounds like a bit of confusion.

I'm not sure if it was still true, but it was accepted in Australia that a dog seen chasing livestock could be shot by the farmer. We had problems with a pack of dogs coming up into the hills from local towns, attacking calves, lambs and chasing horses once. People said it was 'wild dogs' until the farmers shot some of the pack - and found collars with names and phone numbers on them.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
-There are NO Russian Boars in the Southern US. All wild hogs are feral hogs (domestic hogs that were released and/or escaped generations ago and have since reverted to their wild state) That includes "Hogzilla. You're perfect correct that they are totally out of control. They are a non-native, invasive species that is incredibly destructive.

-Wild dogs are perfectly legal to shoot on site (see wild boar above, the same philosophy applies)

What do you mean by wild dog exactly ?...I assume it's a domestic dog gone feral but i'm probably wrong.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What do you mean by wild dog exactly ?...I assume it's a domestic dog gone feral but i'm probably wrong.

No, you aren't wrong. You're correct. That does give some legitamacy to leachim's claim "untagged" as it could conceivably be difficult to differentiate.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds like a bit of confusion.

I'm not sure if it was still true, but it was accepted in Australia that a dog seen chasing livestock could be shot by the farmer. We had problems with a pack of dogs coming up into the hills from local towns, attacking calves, lambs and chasing horses once. People said it was 'wild dogs' until the farmers shot some of the pack - and found collars with names and phone numbers on them.

That's generally acceptable here as well. The key being that they (the dogs) are attacking/chasing/harassing domestic livestock; not just because they are on your land.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Dogs have certain traits bred into them to serve a purpose.
I'll never understand someone keeping a dog for posturing or keeping them indoors for that matter.

Mostly agree. However if the desired trait is "protection" what's wrong with keeping it indoors? After all that's where my family is and that's what I most want to protect.

What about the desired trait being a companion? A service dog for the disabled? Need I go on?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE