opinel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
if you have one, you have some wood and you want to carve - give it a go.

I wouldn't buy one specifically for carving though.

:)

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Yes.
They are easy to sharpen and easy to use.
The only thing is when brand new they have a delicate point which will get snapped off. I usually take the blade back to more of a drop-point shape which is stronger.
Remember to carve safely, keeping fingers of the hand holding the wood out of the way as your knife will cut through flesh better than wood.
I cut the back of my finger the other evening, luckily the bone stopped the knife going right through.

Enjoy.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I would say that a full flat grind knife like an Opinel or most folders, swiss army etc is a poor choice for carving. Yes it will do a bit of basic whittling as will any knife but for controlled carving ideally you want a zero scandi ground knife. My personal favourite carving knife is Frosts 106 sloyd at about £10.

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
Opinels are nice, but they are better at kitchen workgoodjob, than carving. As a funny EDC it is all right, if you keep it dry, otherwise it will open and close slowly:(. But therefore the French take their Opinel on the lockring and knock the handle against their boot soles. So the blade comes out several mm and they can grip the blade better to open it.goodjob
Take one for carving and a Opinel for cooking, they're cheap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE