Oops I did it again!...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Oh No! I have only gone and charmed a local farmer into giving me permission to camp, went up this evening to have a nose and take a few pics, drawbacks, it's quite steep, apart from the top and it's only an acre and a half and max of 6 people oh and a £5.00 per head per night, positives it's very quiet, stream within 50 metres,10 minute walk to a pretty little local pub, loads of firewood.

I am going to keep this one a bit secret, but it's near Ilsington.

I am on a mission this week! 2 more likely places, fingers crossed.

Ivan...

Simms Hill 001.jpg Simms Hill 002.jpg

Simms Hill 003.jpg Simms Hill 004.jpg

Simms Hill 005.jpg Simms Hill 006.jpg

Simms Hill 007.jpg Simms Hill 008.jpg

Simms Hill 009.jpg Simms Hill 010.jpg

Simms Hill 011.jpg Simms Hill 012.jpg

Simms Hill 013.jpg Simms Hill 014.jpg

Simms Hill 015.jpg Simms Hill 016.jpg

Simms Hill 017.jpg Simms Hill 018.jpg

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Beautiful looking wood! What's your secret to getting permission and finding out who owns the land? I've spotted some spots near me, but don't know how to go about seeking permission or who in fact owns the land even. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Headshed, brill name by the way, i have woken up many a morrning and felt lkie my head was in the shed!

Anyway back to the sensible stuff, i was born and bred here, and now being 50! Most of the local land ownership has been past on to the son's and daughter's of the original farmers, so i was at school with a lot of them, who now make decisions, i will admit i am a bit like marmite, you either like me or can't stand me, no inbetween!

I was also a tree surgeon, for years and during the storms of Oct 87 and Jan 90, did a lot of local farmers/landowners a favour, clearing the roads so as they were not ripped off by the council and Dartmoor National Park Authority (spits)

So they do not forget! Being an active member of young farmers clubs etc, as a youngster, being local and not a blow in, volunteering to help with cattle shifting, milking, baling etc etc.

Not taking advantage of too many of their daughters, and seeing them home safely, or so they thought!

I could go on and on! But i do have a distinct advantage, as you can see, i took the most recent lady, to a site i already use to show them exactly what we are about, showed them loads of photo's and even directed them to BCUK. Nothing to hide, honesty of your intentions from the start.

Most farmers, have a bit of wood/ground that is of no use to them,apart from setaside grants etc, it's no good for grazing stock or growing crops etc, just the kind of places we yearn!

If you can converse with them, at an appropriate time! (difficult) And convince them of your intentions, they are worried about tesco bags in tree's , litter, pooh! parking,legal aspect, invasion, trace, burn scars,you have a chance.

And although, most plead poverty, they do like the sweetner of a £5.00 a night, also to say you will keep it strictly bushcraft and you will always accompany any campers (they are putting their faith in you) Coz they will visit you, when camping, and will have a nose around when you have gone! Don't take the mickey with numbers, oh yeah invite them up for a brew, show them what we are all about,always handy to have a fire crane, spoon carving going on etc etc, give them a spoon to take home to show wife/kid's etc.

I could go on, but if you have not the confidence to knock on the door (do not phone!) and do not have all of the unfair advantages i have listed, then you will get more no's than yay's, but the day you strike you will cherish.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Sorry, pushed the wrong button, or ran out of room with my rambling's but any other questions, i am always happy to answer.

Good Luck.

Ivan...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Theres the secret Headshed - do things in return, without expectation of reward. Then eventually people trust you and are happy to "pay something back". I grew up where Ivan is as well. A few sessions hauling early lambs out of snow drifts for farmers soon had them looking favourably at my brother and I.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Ben, yeah all down hill on the way home! Really nice country pub, well kept ale and good grub, was my local for 6 years , also went there for my 50th birthday Sunday lunch and pint at the last meet.

See you Thursday mate.

Ivan...

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Thanks for the replies guys! I had considered letters, or phone, but it looks like the direct face to face approach is best. I have a few places earmarked but have no idea who's land it's on, guess the OS maps will have the nearby farms named though. Cheers once again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE