One month rule?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've never used tha facility before! I voted average for this thread just to see what would happen. Can somebody try voting higher or lower, and see what happens? It has three stars at the top at the moment. Post what you voted for it please.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I think all members can see and use the thread rating thingy at the top Leon. Visitors to the site cannot though.

How about...

smilies-34091.png

;)

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
As a suggestion, what are peoples opinions on a 'one month rule' where new members would be unable to post until (you guessed it) a month after registering? As I see it this would:

~ Encourage new members to have a good read of the content of the site and forums in that time before contributing themselves, therefore

~ Stop alot of the more repetitive posts about 'who can reccomend a good knife, axe, stove' etc typically posted by new members who havent bothered to read previous posts on the subject

~ Stop people joining just to have a rant about a specific subject and then clearing off
I like the idea, but I think it should be more like a week as oppose a month.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Ah, what happened to simply 'waiting a bit' before posting? See how the land lies,
see what's been posted, the tone of the posts and how people are expected to
conduct themselves (the forum rules) before weighing in...

(Yes I have come a little late to this party :D )

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
As I posted in another thread a long time ago, I lurked for a long while before I signed up and posted for the first time. I see that as my introductory or "noob" period. I don't think I'm alone in lurking before signing up. I wouldn't really like some sort of "enforced noob period". I hate the term "noob" for a start. :D

I don't like seeing a segregation between the "established membership" and "noobs". It might seem insignificant to start with but it will grow.

There's enough established members to be able to quickly find a useful thread to point an already asked question to. If you don't feel like doing that, just ignore the thread and don't open it.

Anyone got the link to the "guide to posting on message boards" video? I can't find it.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Having an introductions section would be a good idea. But i've been on sites that clobber you for the slightest thing and they ain't pretty.

I like BCUK, i signed up because i thought it was a fairly easy going, informative forum - which it is and i only now belong to two other like minded forums having binned about 3 others for restrictions.

But as much as the new smilies are, you're just going to scare off those newbies who are here for real reasons.

Just my tuppence worth.
As has been noted, it's easy to spot the trolls who show up..

xylaria

Any restrictions on a new member would of stopped me joining. I was doing research on various topics of interest and kept ending up here. I got to thread on hogweed and joined to add a comment. i then didn't post for a month, and now i don't shut up:tapedshut . However I didnt start a thread for months, because I research any questions i have and I nearly always get answer. But if everyone did that there wouldn't be any forum, so stupid questions from newbees do serve a purpose.

Maybe the e-mail you are sent when you join should give some very simple instructions like the introductions are at the bottom of the page. With meet-ups and other chatter. Because I didn't scroll down for weeks and find that bit and recon that is why you end up with intros, and non-bushcraft stuff in the top section.

:twak: As long as moderators are firm on trolls, spamers, and flamers there should be no problem. A general member has to go to alot of effort to get themselves banned here and it is normally pretty clear why.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Thanks for pointing out the 'thread rating' come to think of it I had seen it before, which is probably where my suggestion came from :rolleyes:

However, having had a bit of a play with the search function, the rating seems to make no difference, and isn't something that can be filtered by in the advanced search either. No idea whether it is possible to change this...

I also noticed that the default search is orderd by 'last posting date' - perhaps it is possible to change this to one of the other values - although which one to use is up for debate...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Is it just me? I don't see a problem that needs fixing.

People join and ask questions, people answer the questions with the latest information.

Isn't that how forums are supposed to work?

If we took away all the questions that had been asked before there wouldn't be much left to talk about would there? :dunno:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Is it just me? I don't see a problem that needs fixing.

People join and ask questions, people answer the questions with the latest information.

Isn't that how forums are supposed to work?

If we took away all the questions that had been asked before there wouldn't be much left to talk about would there? :dunno:

So someone joining the forum just to slag someone off and causing them a great deal of stress isn't a problem then..?
I have no problems with repeated questions though...

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So someone joining the forum just to slag someone off and causing them a great deal of stress isn't a problem then..?
I have no problems with repeated questions though...

Is it really thay much of a problem though?
to the extent where we want to put people off from joining?
Not seeing it myself.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
<Snip

That's what the report button is for. The mods do a fine job around here and such threads soon disappear if reported.

I think changing the entire character of the forum to solve a very small problem is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Maybe I've missed something. Has there been a lot of this going on? I haven't noticed it if there has.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Is it really thay much of a problem though?
to the extent where we want to put people off from joining?
Not seeing it myself.
I personally don't think making people have to wait for a bit would necesarilly (sp?) put them off joining...I have had to wait to join forums before and it didnt put me off..Yes it may some, but it may make them want to join all the more also...It would certainly stop the likes of Cowshedder comming on just to have a pop at someone...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE