One month rule?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
As a suggestion, what are peoples opinions on a 'one month rule' where new members would be unable to post until (you guessed it) a month after registering? As I see it this would:

~ Encourage new members to have a good read of the content of the site and forums in that time before contributing themselves, therefore

~ Stop alot of the more repetitive posts about 'who can reccomend a good knife, axe, stove' etc typically posted by new members who havent bothered to read previous posts on the subject

~ Stop people joining just to have a rant about a specific subject and then clearing off

At the end of the day I am not a mod (not even a full member) and so dont have any influence but it would be interesting to hear what others think

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i can see the point your trying to make, but new members arn't necessary new to bushcraft, and may have a lot of good input to the site, i think if they wern't able to share it, it would put them off staying, and what about maker's, there would have to be more conditions put in place but i don't think it would work

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Yeah but they still would be able to share it, just after one month...... Anyway a month is just a figure plucked out of the air, it could be less.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
As a newish member I'd like to add that as there are a bazillion posts, pages and threads on this forum, if I were effectively locked out for a month I'd probably register then not bother coming back for a few months rather than spending time reading through the forum. We're all busy people and there isn't enough time in the day to read all th threads on the forum - I've tried!

While I understand where you are coming from, having new members asking the same questions again means that the knowledge is always fresh and there is always the chance for people with more experience to learn something new as well.

Don't forget that we all have to start somewhere and the best way to learn is to ask questions.

Chris

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Seems to be a solution looking for a problem to solve.

I think the two things you mentioned will happen no matter how long a waiting period you have. I have seen people sign up on other boards and wait a year before posting then let the dam break. You can't control people, you can only ask for co-operaton and boot them if they won't comply.

But, what do I know, I'm just a silly American.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I think that most people can tell fairly quickly if someone is 'sensible' or not from their postings - so I'd be inclined to say that new members should be able to post straight away. If you don't think much of what someone has to say then the most effective, IMHO, way of responding to it is to ignore it, rather than flaming.

Regarding the 'newbie' questions (of which I was as guilty as any when I first started here), we all have to start from somewhere, and you don't have to read or respond to these questions if you don't want to - you can just ignore them. However, perhaps a newbie /FAQ section on the site with questions gleaned from peoples' typical first few postings may be of use for beginners to the site.

I accept that there is a pretty good search facility on the site, but this can turn up many pages of results for someone to try and pick their way through. Also, even after over 25 years in IT, I can still ask Google the wrong question and get no sensible results, yet someone else can word it slightly differently and get a good result.

One of the most pleasing things I found about this site was the readiness of many of its members freely to share their knowledge with others in a manner that was not patronising or with any strings attached and I think that this does encourage a similar spirit in many new members.

Geoff

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
As a relative newb, I'd have left if I wasn't allowed to post for a month. I hope I've not asked any repetitive Q's but if so it was probably because I couldn't find an answer.

The thing I love about BCUK is how helpful and friendly everyone is.

Cheers,

Alan

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Seems to be a solution looking for a problem to solve.

I think the two things you mentioned will happen no matter how long a waiting period you have. I have seen people sign up on other boards and wait a year before posting then let the dam break. You can't control people, you can only ask for co-operaton and boot them if they won't comply.

But, what do I know, I'm just a silly American.

I think us silly American's are gonna agree on this one.:)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
If I was not allowed to post for a month I probably wouldn't have bothered joining.

Every new member is there to be cherished even those that do not share our outlooks.

Aaron I think is trying to prevent those that just want to register to flame. We all are guilty of asking repeated questions.

knowledge moves on and each new thread may give a new perspective on a familiar subject.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I see where you're coming from Aaron but the job of the moderators is to weed out rubbish and nip bad growth in the bud. If folk can't post then they won't hang around.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
How about something similar to the Full Members forum but in reverse. For the first month you're only allowed to post in a "probationers area" that could have sticky threads containing stuff relevant to new posters and common subjects. Dunno. Just thinking out loud. Perhaps even if they were not restricted to it an area for this may be quite a good idea.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
As a suggestion, what are peoples opinions on a 'one month rule' where new members would be unable to post until (you guessed it) a month after registering? As I see it this would:

~ Encourage new members to have a good read of the content of the site and forums in that time before contributing themselves, therefore

~ Stop alot of the more repetitive posts about 'who can reccomend a good knife, axe, stove' etc typically posted by new members who havent bothered to read previous posts on the subject

~ Stop people joining just to have a rant about a specific subject and then clearing off

At the end of the day I am not a mod (not even a full member) and so dont have any influence but it would be interesting to hear what others think

This question has been asked before (in a slightly other form ...), did you use the search function? ;) :nana: :D

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13611

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

~ it would also be the fastest way to kill off new membership growth. In a world of immediate gratification, people simply wouldn't bother.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I can see some merits in the idea - esp the 'cooling off period' it would impose to 1 post rants

I think a month is not a option as Martyn says it will kill off membership at a stroke.... 24hs would be ok but anyone wanting to rant or flame will not be put off by a wait of however long I guess if they are that in-sensed.

feisty

Sep 2, 2007
I am so surprised that on this site you would spend so much of your effort considering regulating people; I had hoped that this was not a closed shop/private club but I for one, and I understand I'm not alone would not have bothered hanging around waiting to be allowed to ask questions or give my (unwanted?) opinion..............
I must now consider my position and may withdraw my 'membership'; haven't got time for politics-too busy living!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I am so surprised that on this site you would spend so much of your effort considering regulating people; I had hoped that this was not a closed shop/private club but I for one, and I understand I'm not alone would not have bothered hanging around waiting to be allowed to ask questions or give my (unwanted?) opinion..............
I must now consider my position and may withdraw my 'membership'; haven't got time for politics-too busy living!

Yet you still gave your opinion ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE