One man tent advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Hi all, this is probably a divvy question that's been asked a million times (I have done a bit of a search but didn't find much) - what are your recommendations for a basic-yet-reliable one (or maybe two) man tent, suitable for a beginner?

As always, any advice or recommendations you can give will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jack

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
If you are looking for small and lightweight at a reasonable price only for sleeping get a banshee or a wild Country zephos .

But inevitably these are too small for sitting or moving so God for a bigger one if you can

If you can afford some weight get a dome like 2 or 3 man like the vango Mistral, in orange but I find it ok.

If you want to spend a lot and have lightweight, again a dome ish then from hilleberg, msr, north face, force ten, terra nova or any others.

Reactions: Jackroadkill

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I think the two man tent is a better idea for most people. One man tents are often like canvas coffins - they will fit you and not much else. A two man tent has a lot more space for your rucksack, etc.

You kind of get what you pay for - a cheapish tent (from a decent brand like Vango) will be sturdy but heavier than something from a posher brand (Wild Country) which again will be heavier but cheaper than its cousin in Terra Nova. The trick is to get something that suits you, and that matches your budget, but is hopefully as light as you can get for the money. The fact is that once you've bought a tent, there isn't a huge amount of modding you can do to it. You havn't give a budget, but I'm assuming up to sixty quid isn't a bad level, with the next level staring at a botu a hundred.

Basic but reliable is good, and Vango is a good place to look - solid and not the lightest, but well thought of at decent prices. This one is about as cheap as its going to get (they have the two person one for a tenner more). I have no idea what they are like, but 2.17kg for a 2 man tent at that price isn't bad at all. Uttings have them in green for the same price.

Vango will do more expensive tents as well, such as the Conshee, but think more a £100 and over. Go Outddors isn't a bad place to start, since they will often have some of their own range set up - its really useful to just sit inside one and see if it works for you - size and layout. Their OEX own-brand range is the one they have for hikings, as opposed to their Freedom Trail cheapie stuff for festivals and the like. OEX stuff hasn't got a huge number of reviews online, but seems decent. They have a one man tent, for about £60, which weighs in at 1.58kg, and a two man tent which comes in at 3kg for £70. To put that into context, my Wild Country Zephyros 2 is about 1.8kg, but it does retail about the £130 mark.

Have a look at what they've got, and ask if there are any markdown or end of lines - you might do well.

Wild Country is the cheaper brand from Terra Nova, and the Zephyros is well thought of for weight and design, without spending a fortune. But its a bit more pricey than Vango. However, Ebay can be your friend, and I think this one is worth £40-50 with no problem - a small hole in the groundsheet is easy to patch and a new guyline is a couple of quid. Or £75 for the one man version (thats a good deal). I also found this Vango - £25 with P & P, and you'd have to a replace a pole section (ebay should have them) and well as pegs. Not bad, but the Wild Country one is much better value!

I did find a berghaus tent on ebay as well at £70 - you'd have to look at the reviews, but it is a bit heavy. Actually, there is a berghaus mountain tent for a good price, but its a bit OTT for your needs!

I'd do some research, find out whats best for you in terms of size, find the lightest you can for your money, and look around. Blacks will often do surprisingly good deals (the Vango is pretty cheap there), Go Outdoors will often have tents set up, and Cotswolds have always done well in setting up a tent if your interested and they are quiet. Trekkit is online and has good service, and I'd recommend getting this book - you get get it for about £7 used on Amazon, and its very good for renovating and repairing second hand stuff - a good way to save money!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you are old and rich buy a green Hilleberg Akto.

If you are old an poor, buy a used green Hilleberg Akto.

If you are young and rich, buy a green Hilleberg Nallo 2.

If you are young and rich and if you want to go in the mountains buy a red Hilleberg Nammatj 2.

If you are young an poor buy a green Snugpack Special Forces bivi bag and a Special Forces Sleeping bag. That can save your life, if necessary.

If you have this, you can buy a Decathlon Arpenaz 2. It costs only 20 €.

It weights only two kilogram without pegs and is surprisingly very well made.

It is constructed till only 40 km/h wind speed. So you should hide it behind hedges.

For a young beginner this is a very good option. The cheapest tent of good Quality on the world market in my opinion. The most sold tent in France. May be the most sold civil tent in the world.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Personally I'd go for Bangor over wild Country on quality grounds. Vango has always been decent quality for us but WC has failed on the only tent we bought from them. Failed on stitching and poles after just a week's use. Looking at the quality of the stitching I seriously question their quality systems. I know a bit about sewing through work, enough to spot poor quality.

This is just our experience, lots of ppl rate the WC Zephyros tents.

Vango at cheaper end or perhaps look at decathlon, they might actually do something cheap and decent for first tent.

Mega bucks look to hilleberg. A bit cheaper lightwave are excellent tents.

MSR make very good quality and light tents. They can be mesh inner or solid. Each basic design is available as light and heavier version I think with money being your decider on that.

I like helsport and Nordisk tents but they're pricey too.

Look at backpacking light UK for tents. They do single upright pole pyramid tents for decent prices. UK importers of the Hong Kong brand Luxe. Very good tents for the money but a bit different.

MSR and a few other brands can be used without the inner as a tarp to save weight. Luxe tents too.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Last spring I bought a Vango Blade 100 one man single pole tent. Mostly as a midgie escape alternative to my bivvy bag.

It's superbly made from quality materials, for the price I highly rate Vango. Also quite light for its price range and packs small, almost beats my tarp and bivvy bag on weight and size!

I haven't used it yet though! It's way too small! Get a 2 man! If you had to spend any time in it hiding from the elements, it would be quite bleak. Otherwise you just be better off outside with a bivvy.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Thanks very much guys - I very much appreciate your help.

I'll have a look at some of the suggestions and see what looks good. If I can find a light-but-decent two-man tent that may be better, I suppose, due to the space aspect.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I agree with Oldbones. I tried a one man tent in the interests of saving weight but a two man is a better option. The weight difference is negligible as poles, pegs and guys are the same for both. In foul weather when you really need a tent you also need somewhere to separate wet and dry kit.as well as wriggle room when you are cooped up for any length of time. There is also more choice in two-man tents as they are more popular.

I think the only alternative is tarp and bivvy, but in a real storm I prefer a real tent!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
How old are you?

How tall are you?

Do you want to use it along the coast line or in the mountains or only in woodland?

If you are young, may be you will not stay alone the next years. (!!!)

Than it is intelligent to buy a very light two persons tent. If you are young, you should be able to carry it even on a trip you are going alone.

I am using personally
(alone as a one man tent):

- in France the Decathlon Arpenas 2

- in whet and stormy conditions the Hilleberg Nallo 2

- in woodland the Luxe Outdoor Silhexpeak V4a outer tent.

Because that works with a nature stick as a pole or I can hang it under a washing line (!) so I do not have to carry any poles around (!).

This outer tent I use in combination with Snugpack Special Forces Bivi Bag and Snugpack Special Forces 1 or 2 sleeping bag. On a German Army foldable insulation mat.

If it doesn't rain when I arrive in the evening at the place to stay, I simply sleep in the bivi bag. Often in Combination with a military poncho as tarp. Than I let the tents at home.

The last is my lightest version. And I prefere it over the others in the most conditions.

A poncho with bivi bag is a very good option for a young man.

(And for me as an old one too.)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A few years ago I would have had no hesitation in recommending you get the legendary Saunders Spacepacker Plus; a superb two man tent that has doors and storage on both sides meaning you don't have to climb over the other occupant to get out. Unfortunately Saunders is no more but good ones do occasionally come up for sale. I'm still using mine that I bought in the mid 80's - it cost well over £200 then but I've more than had my money's worth. I've had it pitched on the Glyders in white-out blizzard conditions and been very thankful of the extra space. My point being, after that long intro, don't skimp on the money if you can afford it; like Old Bones says, get a two man, and you get what you pay for; a good, well made tent, that costs more now will almost certainly last longer and be cheaper in the long run.

Also, if you don't expect to backpack up mountains, don't get too hung up on weight. If you're only walking a few miles to get to your camp, a larger, heavier tent may be far more suitable and better value for money.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have a 1-man Gelert 'Track 1' tent which weighs in (complete - pegs, poles, tent fly sheet, bag, guy lines) at 1.6kgs.
It is a low tunnel tent (slide in / slide out) being only 65cm high, at the head end. It is a little dated but Sports direct have them on offer at the moment at £26. I cannot fault it - 3000mm HH and packs up very small - fits in my 25 litre sack with clothes, sleeping bag cooking stuff etc. Ideal for a night or two. Would never get rid of it too useful.
https://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert...jhrweaKD0oHsxz9dhz0GceAjI8VvYGzEaAsI5EALw_wcB

I also have a lightweight 2-man tent that had 'sitting-up' room. Incredible specification and seems really good value for the money - never had any problems with it but there is always the perception of 'Chinese stuff cannot be as good as the brand names'.
Has an 8000mm HH rating due to the silicon flysheet.
Cost around £60-£70 All-Up weight is 1.332 kgs but having a fairly thin groundsheet a 'footprint' is recommended - this weighs 230g. Many ebay sellers include the footprint in with the package.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Man-Na...560696?hash=item2397f96a78:g:0vIAAOSwlzRaYukz

If you plan to be up in the mountains in the winter gales A suitable tent will cost a lot more.
It just depends on when you plan to use, where you plan to use it and how much comfort you want.

When looking at tent weights check the detail - some suppliers have started quoting weights excluding pegs and /or poles, some quote 'trek-weights' some quote 'minimum weights, some quote 'lightweight set-uo' (ie flysheet, and poles but no tent)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If looking at the better lightweight tents then ultralightweightgear website is good. They give actual weights broken down for components plus their opinions on the products. Yes they want to sell but their opinions are usually a good mini review of the best features.

Don't trust supplied weights for tents they're only a guide. If weight is a key criteria expect to compromise elsewhere. Size, weight and price, pick two.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I agree with Oldbones. I tried a one man tent in the interests of saving weight but a two man is a better option. The weight difference is negligible as poles, pegs and guys are the same for both. In foul weather when you really need a tent you also need somewhere to separate wet and dry kit.as well as wriggle room when you are cooped up for any length of time. There is also more choice in two-man tents as they are more popular.

I think the only alternative is tarp and bivvy, but in a real storm I prefer a real tent!

I spent 10 nights sleeping is a totally rubbish (no inner) one man tent on an excavation 28 years ago, because I was clueless. Someone else had a nice Vango dome tent - and that looked like bliss compared with mine. Since I was going to be on another excavation for about 3 weeks, I went to Oswald Bailey's in Bournemouth and bought the cheapest (China made) 3 person dome tent I could. It was pretty rubbish compared with my friends Vango, but it was vastly better than what I had. Actually, its still useable.

One man tents are OK if you dont have any kit, or dont breath much!

I'd forgotten about Decathlon - we dont have one in our neck of the woods, but they do some pretty decent stuff, and are good value.

If weight is a key criteria expect to compromise elsewhere. Size, weight and price, pick two.

The classic answer to almost any question about outdoor kit!

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I spent 10 nights sleeping is a totally rubbish (no inner) one man tent on an excavation 28 years ago, because I was clueless. Someone else had a nice Vango dome tent - and that looked like bliss compared with mine. Since I was going to be on another excavation for about 3 weeks, I went to Oswald Bailey's in Bournemouth and bought the cheapest (China made) 3 person dome tent I could. It was pretty rubbish compared with my friends Vango, but it was vastly better than what I had. Actually, its still useable.

One man tents are OK if you dont have any kit, or dont breath much!

I'd forgotten about Decathlon - we dont have one in our neck of the woods, but they do some pretty decent stuff, and are good value.

The classic answer to almost any question about outdoor kit!

The secret is 'forget' about single skin tents - you may as well be sleeping in a bin-bag, you WILL get condensation and your bedding WILL get damp (and thus feel colder). You need a breathable inner tent and an external 'fly-sheet' that will collect the moisture and let it run down and away from the tent.
The penalty is having the added weight of a fly-sheet (although its not much). 1.5kgs for a 2-man tent c/w a fly sheet is not a lot and well worth the extra 200-300 grams.

The lighter you go, the flimsier the material so its always going to be a trade off of price, size, weight and robustness.

I have no hesitation in recommending the NatureHike tent I have, but, it is not the strongest, (most resilient material), if you are going to put it up in woodland, ensure no branches can rub thru, or stab, the tent. Looked after it does the job.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Vango Banshee 200 is what I use if it's just me. We've had both of us in it for a couple of nights and it's fairly "intimate". Great tent for one, two doors, room for boots under the fly and rucksack inside.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Go for a two man tent.
The person that invented one man tents must have hated humanity.

Cheap ones are absolutely fine in summer. They are heavier that the more expensive ones though.

I do not know your budget, but the Swedish company Fjallraven make nice 2 man tents that are suitable in all climates, everywhere.

Last edited:

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Much appreciated, guys. I think that, as has been suggested above, a two-man might be the way forward (I'm over six feet and have size 12 feet, which may not be much fun in a tiny coffin-style tent). If nothing else I can take the dog with me, I suppose! I'll have a look and see how far I can stretch mu budget, as I'd like to buy as good a quality tent as I can.

I'm interested in what some of you said about a bivi; in my ATC days (back in the '90's) I used to sleep quite happily under an army poncho. If I decide on a night's ultralight camping in good weather there's always that option, tent purchase notwithstanding.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm interested in what some of you said about a bivi; in my ATC days (back in the '90's) I used to sleep quite happily under an army poncho. If I decide on a night's ultralight camping in good weather there's always that option, tent purchase notwithstanding.

Do you mean bivi bag or tarp? We used to call tarps bivies as kids! My preferred camping option is a tarp. Doesn't matter if it's cold, I find waking up in the fresh air under a tarp as opposed to a tent is most invigorating. With ice on the grass and frost in my hair it just feels great. I'll use the tarp in wet weather but if it's really persistently tipping it down it's the tent. So, unless I need to go lightweight, I'll have both. In really cold conditions I'll use the tarp and my Gore-Tex bivi bag and/or an overnight fire with a reflector - to be honest, for me, that is the ultimate camping experience.

Then, of course, there's the tarp and hammock - a whole new thread's worth of discussion :)

Reactions: Janne

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Much appreciated, guys. I think that, as has been suggested above, a two-man might be the way forward (I'm over six feet and have size 12 feet, which may not be much fun in a tiny coffin-style tent). If nothing else I can take the dog with me, I suppose! I'll have a look and see how far I can stretch mu budget, as I'd like to buy as good a quality tent as I can.

I'm interested in what some of you said about a bivi; in my ATC days (back in the '90's) I used to sleep quite happily under an army poncho. If I decide on a night's ultralight camping in good weather there's always that option
Do you mean bivi bag or tarp?

We used to use a poncho as a tarp, usually strung over a stick to make a ridge, then bungee'd down so that the edges were two feet or so off the ground (like an A frame tent without walls, I suppose) or in good weather just used to provide some wind shadow when strung at 45 degrees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE