One For Buckshot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
And others if they can answer too. :)

Buckshot shells are illegal over here to own and hunt with... What does a buckshot do? How big are the diameter of the pellets in the cartridge?

:)

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks for the link Ed, I can see they're much more heavy and bigger than birdshot. Over here we kill big game with no. 1 (4 mm pellets) and that's the max. allowed.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It is allowed to shoot even the largest game like red deer, wild boar, mouflon or sika deer with birdshots, fx. no. 1 - 4 mm pellet.

Anything can be shot with a rifle, from red deer to pidgeons (if one wants to spend the cost of a cartridge on that :p )

cheers

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Sorry Viking, just noticed this thread :eek:
Ed's answered it so well anyway...

I'm surprised deer can be shot with No1 shot - that's not alot of penetration there, even using a heavy cartridge 35 or 40 gram.

I was playing with a .17HMR last night, very nice....Now what reason can I give the wife to have one of those.....

Mark

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Here in Sweden Slugs and Buckshots are allowed and used for Bear hunt if the bear is in dense forest. I think they use them too for wild boar hunt. What are you using for wild boar hunt in your country?

cheers
Abbe

B

Bob Hurley

Abbe Osram said:
Here in Sweden Slugs and Buckshots are allowed and used for Bear hunt if the bear is in dense forest. I think they use them too for wild boar hunt. What are you using for wild boar hunt in your country?

cheers
Abbe

I've only been boar hunting once, killed one with a longbow. If you're the adventurous type, try a hunt with Larry Harley: http://www.lonesomepineknives.com/hunt.htm

He belongs to the same forge group that I do and does knifemaking demos now and then, he isn't kidding about boar hunting with a Bowie knife.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Bob Hurley said:
I've only been boar hunting once, killed one with a longbow. If you're the adventurous type, try a hunt with Larry Harley: http://www.lonesomepineknives.com/hunt.htm

He belongs to the same forge group that I do and does knifemaking demos now and then, he isn't kidding about boar hunting with a Bowie knife.

Thats wirred mate, are you sure its for real? I dont want to bring the thread off track but if you know how they do than maybe you start another thread and explain to us how they do it.

This is to wirred. :eek:

cheers
Abbe

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We killed al the wild boar in the UK a while ago and then someone had the idea to start farming it. Well, the normal thing happen, some escaped.
We now have a 'wild' population locally that is doing so well it's at the point of needing to be controlled.
Any shooting is done with a rifle, I think .308 is the minimum recommended.

And Abbe - they do have some unusual hunting techniques in the States :eek:

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE