On the bandwagon - My hobo stove!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
A while ago I followed Waylands directions and made a hobo stove.

MkI involved a Coke can meths stove and an old set of Camping Gaz billies (now on their way to Oetzi, hope he gets as much use out of them as I have!)
DSC00379.jpg

In the quest for a truly versatile set up I bought a 12cm Zebra billy, allowing me to cook on open fires if the possiblity arose. I also upgraded the Coke can stove to a Ti Triad stove which can be used to burn meths, or turned over hexy.

DSC00433.jpg

When not in use I carry the set up in an old DPM stuff sac from a previous life!

DSC00437.jpg

This shot shows the top plate in position, storing:-
  • folding Ti spork
  • pot grab
  • lighter
  • Ti Triad stove
  • hexy blocks (2 x 2 blocks, wrapped in aluminium foil to keep everything dust free)
  • fire lighter

DSC00438.jpg

This shot shows;-
  • fold a mug
  • hanging chain
  • firesteel & striker
  • shotgun cartridge match box
  • drinks sachets
  • Millbank bag

DSC00436.jpg

All unpacked showing how the plate has been drilled so that i can use it to drain either rice or pasta, my favourite camp food, without losing any!

DSC00432.jpg

Finally, in use at Middlewood last weekend.

Simon

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
looks a great set-up with plenty of room to store all your wee extras

do u have a link to the tutoiral u used?

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
How do you get on with the triad stove when using meths? i'm tempted to get one.

It doesn't burn for as long as a true Trangia burner, and in very cold weather I have to preheat it by pouring a little meths into the base of the hobo stove, around the Triad, and then lighting that. With this technique I've had no problems.

Without a windshield, I would imagine that it wouldn't work very well, but that can be said for all meths burners IMHO.

To be honest tho, I only use it when it is not practical to burn twigs and small branches.

HTH

Simon

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice one for posting this Simon, gives folk good ideas to work from, or to mod theirs.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Until I find an appropriate stainless pot (I'll need to start looking, first), this is what I'm working with. It's a piece of aluminium flashing from a Dormer window, and acts as:
- A bottomless hobo stove
- A windshield for a Windpro canister stove
The dimension of the current version are slightly different: it now wraps neatly around the base of the billy for carriage, and the skewer supports sit the billy closer to the flame. No cutting involved (other than drilling); it was as though the piece of aluminium was made for it.
Shield.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE