Olympus E620

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
As a long-time 35mm film user, I'm now wondering about making the jump into digital (once I'm back in work).

I saw an Olympus E620 and it seems to be compact and well built - it certainly felt solid enough in my hand. The relatively small sensor does concern me a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or views on this camera?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
If my E-410 is anything to go by and the reviews of the E-620 I would have one at least it has image stabilisation built in and you dont have to buy fancy lenses with IS.
At least it will be neat and light unlike many others.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Thanks lads:) My system is Canon FD - an old F1n and a T90 I've had from new. I love them both, but they are a bit weighty! There is no chance that any of my lenses will work properly on any DSLR, so whatever I get, will be a new system for me - even if I was to buy Canon!

I'll have alook at that site robin, and thanks Brancho for your view - so far, I have yet to meet/speak to anyone with any of the Olympus DSLRs!

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
I got myself an Olympus E500 a few years ago. Brilliant camera. Had a few olympus's, or should that be Olympi (?), with the om10 and om1. Have no problems with it at all. Robust enough for outside work, and it has been dropeed a few times. Supposedly waterpfoof, well showerproof. People rave about Nikons / Cannons etc, but imo the Olympus range is one of the best!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Like Armleywhite my first SLR was an OM10 which was good then I had an OM 2N which really was good.

My E-410 is good but I wish it had image stabalisation like the E-620.

Image quality is good though here is one of my shots

Wasdale2.jpg

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Lovely pic Brancho.

Interestingly I also went OM10, OM2n - few others - then E-410 and I have just got the E-620. It's worth the upgrade for IS alone, you can shoot in natural light about 2 (they claim 4) stops darker. I would recommend it based on using it for a couple of weeks. AF is fast, the controls are better than the E-410.

I was annoyed they had included the fold out LCD. Actually I have used it a few times for odd angles and it is useful. Mostly I use it to turn the LCD inwards to protect it, which is a great feature. That also stops you from spending too long looking at the last pic you took on the LCD review!

PS. I still have the OM10 and OM2n, they're too lovely to part with and the latter gets an outing every few months.

Last edited:

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi mate
I own an Olympus e420 and I can only sing its praises. Awesome camera and small unlike a lot of DSLRs that are massive and weigh loads.

Beautifully rendered, crisp images with excellent colour reproduction. If you can get a good deal on the e420 do it as there is only a few minor software tweaks between it and the new e430.

Hope this helps
Craeg :)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
i made the switch from heavy analog to heavy digital and then sold everything again for lightweight digital: Olympus E-420 and 520.
I never regretted it!
So lightweight that I carry a SLR-type camera more often and leave the compact with its inferior picture-quality at home.
Excellent quality of the pics, but I am definitly not one of these Pixelpeepers.
A very good source of info outside those websites who test image-quality by comparing and evaluating the results of different cameras with a magnifying glass:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Thanks all, I am very grateful for all of the comments and help. I have to say that I am increasingly inclined towards the Olympus (when I am back in work):)

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
Another happy E 420 *SE* user here :) its a cracking little camera light weight and small well built and easy to use. its picture quality is far better than my skill with it lol :)
heres some pics i have taken.

http://bigant84.deviantart.com/gallery/

just managed to fit get a adaptor so i can use my old 500 mill manual lens with it so goin to take it out soon and try it with that :)

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
lol tis rare i see one that isnt :) never had a problem with them not moving *had one that wouldn't stop once but that dosn't count* and ty for the kind words about my photos :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE