Olduvai Gorge Hand Axes on display in Hampshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
Just a quick note to let everyone know that the Olduvai Gorge hand axes are on display in Andover Museum, Hampshire.

These are amongst the oldest stone tools in the world and are on loan from the British Museum until the 21st July. Not only do you get a chance to study these fantastic tools and examples of the knappers art but you can also enjoy the rare oportunity of handling some of the finds from the Gorge itself found by Louis Leakey.
Please ring the museum to check when handling sessions are on (01264 366283).

There is also a talk by Jill Cook Keeper of Palaeolithic & Mesolithic collections at the British Museum on Saturday 16th June at 2pm , please ring to book. The exhibition, talk amd handling is all free!
website www.hants.gov.uk/museum/andoverm

cheers

Mods I have a conection to the museum service as I work for them but hope it is ok to put this on as it is all free, if not please delete and appologies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No Green Arrow this is fine; it's an interesting thread for a free activity that we're only finding out about because you're working there. It's not a self promotion thing.

Wish it was nearer.

atb,
Toddy

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Cool. Wish I lived down that way. Thought I'd post a few pics of some hand axes I found in Kenya a couple of months ago:-

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is very close to me - thanks very much Green Arrow - a treat indeed for an axe freak!

Red

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Oh yeah - you will never believe how jealous I am Beer Monster - seriously!

Red

....... there were loads of them just lying about the place. The 9 in the bottom photo were found in about 15 minutes searching in the area. I put them all back where I found them so that other people could enjoy, take nothing but photos leave nothing but foot prints and all that so they are still there is you want to go and have a look! The area is crying out for an archaeologist to go along and have a gander. There used to be even more than there are now but numbers have decreased over the years as more and more people keep on nicking them (they are just lying in a field next to a track!), shame really (I must confess I was very very tempted though).

I saw and absolutley beautiful one (not in the above location but at Olorgesailie) made from pure black obsidian, it was a true work of art and still amazingly sharp!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE