Oldest tree in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I just wen to see what is believed to be one of the oldest trees in the UK today ... it's an Yew tree in the grounds of a chruchyard in Llangernwy, Wales and it is believed to be 4 - 5000 years old!

Magic spot! Really humbling experience.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
What I forgot to add was that this was in a graveyard and had, what appeared to be human bones tucked into one of the holes .. stille not sure whether we should tell someone!

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
bothyman said:
Here is another one,
I have seen it and it looks like it would'nt make a decent bonfire.

>> http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/townfirst1306.html

Dear all.

Yews are a mystery, we haven’t a great understanding of them as they are a bizarre tree. They don’t behave like most trees that we have. We know that they grow very slowly and then they appear to stop. Then they appear to be dying and look full of decay. It then decides that it will start growing again of its own accord.

The dating of Yews is notoriously difficult, as I have said above, they don’t have a normal growth pattern. Most trees we can date from tree rings but with the Yew, which piece of wood is the tree!? What we do know is down to one mans drive and determination to try and understand the Yew and that is a man called Allen Mereidith. He has spent a lifetime researching the history, age, growth and their social standing in our culture. It is he who has convinced many confused botanist that are Yews are much older than we first thought with many being older the baby Jesus.

The Fortingall Yew is now believed to be over 9000 years old! Wow.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
As long as they don't do to what they thought was one of the oldest trees in the states a few years back and cut it down to find out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE