Old Toward Castle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Went down to Toward castle the other day and took some photo's - nothing bushcrafty at all, just castle... :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

The castle was 'repaired' a couple of decades ago, rather badly I'm afraid. Dodgy cementing etc, still it must have been a beautiful place once.

Can anyone tell me what the tree is? It's very calm and relaxing to be near or in.. :) and I'd guess very old. Trunk is around 5 or 6 feet wide, and the canopy is about 15 meters wide. Lots of new growth, which you can see in / on the trunk - with roots growing on it.

Also anyone know what the bird is? And the plant pictured last, found growing on the shore?

Thanks for looking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is that not where the Campbell's hung the Lamonts ? on a big tree ? A massacre it was called, as bad as Glencoe.

I think they filmed The Raven there too :cool:

No idea what the tree is ...... old holly looks a 'bit' like those leaves though, no longer spikey, just oval. Probably so wrong it's on another planet :eek:

Cheers for the photos :D
M

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Some good pics there Mark
Dont know what the tree is but i think the bird is an oyster catcher

Cheers

Jason

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Is that not where the Campbell's hung the Lamonts ? on a big tree ? A massacre it was called, as bad as Glencoe.

I think they filmed The Raven there too :cool:

No idea what the tree is ...... old holly looks a 'bit' like those leaves though, no longer spikey, just oval. Probably so wrong it's on another planet :eek:

Cheers for the photos :D
M

Aye thats the place Mary, where the Lamots surrendered, then got bumped off rather nastily. I plan on winning the lottery one day, rebuilding it and moving... clan flag shall be raised once again I say! :D

Anyhoo... the tree, the leaves certainly have a similar feel to holly, quite firm, waxy. The new growth shoots are ovaloid too. Don't know what trees are likely to grow shoots on themselves though - with root systems growing down the trunk / branches too. It looks like a parasitic growth like Ivy, but it's not, it's the plant itself. The bark isn't like holly however. :confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What about the Bay Laurel that Mesquite suggested ? Don't think I've ever seen one of those :dunno:

The Campbells got their comeuppance though, albeit 15 years later, when the fellow in charge was executed. That said, the Lamonts were anything but benign to their neighbours too.....
http://www.clannalba.com/page/index.html/_/articles/clans/lamonts-campbells-early-1646-r137
It's surprising that there are any Scots left with the sheer number of castles and forts in the country. Battled it out for millenia :sigh:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
where abouts is Toward Castle, not sure ive heard about the story about the campbells and the LAMONTS, will have to do a wee bit of research on that one, likes my history i do....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE