Old Tools are Fantastic!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They were being sold separately Steve :rolleyes:. Thankfully at a reasonable price so I smiled nicely and bought them both (I was using your Stanley no. 8 just the other day by the way - I mentally thank you each time).
It's gone to the right place and I'm glad it's getting the proper use it deserves Hugh :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's gone to the right place and I'm glad it's getting the proper use it deserves Hugh :)
It's last outing was rather nice. A chippy I know was retiring and gave me sacks of "offcuts" "for the woodburner". Some great big pieces of 2" thick Sapele included (rough sawn from making hardwood sash windows). My old, tiny Mum bought a new garden bench for her retirement flat but her legs didn't reach the ground! I planned up a lovely bit of that Sapele, Danish oiled it and cut some legs. She was blown away by her heavy, hardwood, outdoor footstool. I told her that you made it possible ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Mesquite

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It's possibly worth pointing out that although Rosewoods (few species under that title) are beautiful to make plane totes and the like from (some of my older planes have them) its used much less nowadays because its usage is regulated under the cities treaty due to over exploitation.
Thats not to say that black plastic is the only other option though and I have a nice modern Chinese copy of the no longer made by Stanley 112 scraper plane with a Cherry tote and knob which personally I think is at least its equal in that nebulous quality of "Feel".
Don't get me wrong, there's loads of excellent old tools out there, but if people think there's no modern stuff as good they're just not looking in the right places.

Back in the day I suspect a good handplane cost the best part of a tradesmans weeks wages so even the cost isn't far off.

Reactions: Dougster

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Yup, I agree to a standard.
When I lived in a commune for sustainable living, there was no modern electrical hand tools or machinery allowed.. it was all old school..axe,hand planes, brace & bit, plumb lines..Even milking the jersey cows were done by hand. Scything the land was hard & laborious but very rewarding.
You measured 3 times & cut once as the time making whatever took ages, so it had to be done right.
The logs for the heating/ range cooking were cut & seasoned from the woods too.
But at least you slept well as we were knackered at the end of the day.( I preferred to have a strip wash in the natural spring than a bath).
Would I go back, more than likely.

However, being in the building trade,modern is the standard as I couldn’t imagine the cost or time of build something the traditional ways.
My grandad wouldn’t even think about picking up an electrical drill as he didn’t like the idea of them( I can see him in my memory drilling into house bricks with bit & brace).
Great memories bought up from a random topic..thanks.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup, I agree to a standard.
When I lived in a commune for sustainable living, there was no modern electrical hand tools or machinery allowed.. it was all old school..axe,hand planes, brace & bit, plumb lines..Even milking the jersey cows were done by hand. Scything the land was hard & laborious but very rewarding.
You measured 3 times & cut once as the time making whatever took ages, so it had to be done right.
The logs for the heating/ range cooking were cut & seasoned from the woods too.
But at least you slept well as we were knackered at the end of the day.( I preferred to have a strip wash in the natural spring than a bath).
Would I go back, more than likely.

However, being in the building trade,modern is the standard as I couldn’t imagine the cost or time of build something the traditional ways.
My grandad wouldn’t even think about picking up an electrical drill as he didn’t like the idea of them( I can see him in my memory drilling into house bricks with bit & brace).
Great memories bought up from a random topic..thanks.
I cannot deny the efficiency of power tools. Heck I use them myself, would hate to be without my DeWalt XR cordless range. But, just maybe, that's part of the issue? We can do things so fast now, from putting up a wall to ploughing a field that we tend not to value the output as much. As you will know from experience, if you raise your own food with your own sweat & toil, food waste is extremely unlikely!

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I cannot deny the efficiency of power tools. Heck I use them myself, would hate to be without my DeWalt XR cordless range. But, just maybe, that's part of the issue? We can do things so fast now, from putting up a wall to ploughing a field that we tend not to value the output as much. As you will know from experience, if you raise your own food with your own sweat & toil, food waste is extremely unlikely!
Someone once said to me, when the oil finally runs out & society collapses can I live with you.
That put a smile on my face.
So maybe those antique tools will be the new gold.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Someone once said to me, when the oil finally runs out & society collapses can I live with you.
That put a smile on my face.
So maybe those antique tools will be the new gold.

I do like to ensure that all our tools have manual equivalents- be that crosscut saws, Yankee screwdrivers or steel wedges with a sledgehammer!

Reactions: Broch

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It's possibly worth pointing out that although Rosewoods (few species under that title) are beautiful to make plane totes and the like from (some of my older planes have them) its used much less nowadays because its usage is regulated under the cities treaty due to over exploitation.
Thats not to say that black plastic is the only other option though and I have a nice modern Chinese copy of the no longer made by Stanley 112 scraper plane with a Cherry tote and knob which personally I think is at least its equal in that nebulous quality of "Feel".
Don't get me wrong, there's loads of excellent old tools out there, but if people think there's no modern stuff as good they're just not looking in the right places.

Back in the day I suspect a good handplane cost the best part of a tradesmans weeks wages so even the cost isn't far off.
I am afraid https://www.workshopheaven.com is getting me into a lot of trouble with my wife. My wishlist is also quite long.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I won't show the full process as there are some sensitive souls around and I would hate to cause controversy on Tony's site, but, for those that like such things, I was very happy with the venison - this is one haunch - over a stone in weight

Haunch of venison by English Countrylife, on Flickr
No problem in the Fair Game forum, it's what it's there for.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No problem in the Fair Game forum, it's what it's there for.
I may check some stuff with you in the future then Tony if that's okay? We enjoy passing on techniques and skills to those who are interested, but genuinely have no desire to offend those who would find such things distressing. An example is that we are often ask to demonstrate how to slaughter, pluck and dress home reared poultry by aspiring smallholders. It's something that we would love to show, but know it would upset even some backyard poultry keepers. We are considering using a training platform to deliver it so that people don't "stumble upon" it - it's a difficult line to tread.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I appreciate the consideration Hugh. I see it as an important skill to be able to reference so I'm happy if it's in here, just a little warning in the title might be prudent.
The only consideration that might change my willingness would be if we're penalised by school/workplace filters, but that's probably unlikely and we can always try to work around it.

Reactions: mikehill

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I appreciate the consideration Hugh. I see it as an important skill to be able to reference so I'm happy if it's in here, just a little warning in the title might be prudent.
The only consideration that might change my willingness would be if we're penalised by school/workplace filters, but that's probably unlikely and we can always try to work around it.
Understood Tony, if anything causes issues I would understand a fast thread cull!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE