Old Tent, New Tent....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
So, this is what happened to my Golite SL5 silnylon Tipi in Ontario.
It died in the wilderness, RIP.

attachment.php

And this is the one which is going to replace it: [Hopefully, from a friend in Toronto]

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0167.jpg
    DSCF0167.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 229

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It died on the last day. I could have slept out though, with the jerven bag if needed.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I would have done a write up, but I left my camera on the plane......:rolleyes:

I could ask some other people who were on the trip if I could use their photos I spose...Though Im not sure at the moment.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I would have done a write up, but I left my camera on the plane......:rolleyes:

I could ask some other people who were on the trip if I could use their photos I spose...Though Im not sure at the moment.

Ah well, I look forward to seeing one, as and when and if :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
What happened?

There are certain things you have to do if you are using a silnylon tipi in that enviroment [I now know!].....
Set up, and daily maintenance chores.

For instance the pegs were buried under a foot of ice after constant snowfall and rain.

The pitch area was not big enough to create a full circle. So the tent was slightly elongated. Which meant a couple of inches of the hem was flat.

Unless you have a powder skirt, you dont want any snow on the hem of your sil, otherwise it turns to ice, in the conditions we had.

So your hem is iced hard to the ground. And your pegs are under a foot of ice, you have to chip out with an axe........

When youre setting up, if the snow isnt powdery and dry, its best to use sticks as pegs, crossways, as snow anchors, with some para cord, wraped around them, i use clove hitch, and sacrifice the paracord by just cutting it, when you leave.
And make sure your tipi is set up as a perfect tipi.
With the hem hardly touching the snow.

It would be wise to perform daily maintenance, boiling water and pouring around the edges of the sil tipi that needs it.

Or its a gonner.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ouch, when you said it was wrecked I wasn't expecting it to be so bad.

So the shredding occurred as you tried to dismantle it on the last day, or did bad winds cause it to tear like that? Were you running a stove in there for the week?

Good tips, especially about the sacrificial cord, I'll remember that one, I use deadmen anchors but tie knots so the cord can pull free, although I've never had a foot of solid ice to contend with :) All things to think about when I finally get round to using the Seek Outside sil setup :rolleyes:

Great score on the Snowtrekker mate if it comes good

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Love it ,

always want to see one in the canvas

Would love to show it off!

Good tips Dave. Thanks.

Youre welcome.

Ouch, when you said it was wrecked I wasn't expecting it to be so bad.

So the shredding occurred as you tried to dismantle it on the last day, or did bad winds cause it to tear like that? Were you running a stove in there for the week?

Good tips, especially about the sacrificial cord, I'll remember that one, I use deadmen anchors but tie knots so the cord can pull free, although I've never had a foot of solid ice to contend with :) All things to think about when I finally get round to using the Seek Outside sil setup :rolleyes:

Great score on the Snowtrekker mate if it comes good

Cheers Rich. Only had the stove going once, mainly cold camped, and I burnt one of bobs gloves on the pipe.... Sorry Bob. By this stage he didnt seem too surprised......lol. The stove warmed the ground and under the tove there was the bigest pile of deers sh1t youve ever seen. So a few layers of fresh snow was piled back in the tent.

DSCF0056.jpg
[Bobs Image]

Instead of messing around with nalgene bottles, when cold camping i reckon a normal rubber hot water bottle bought from a chemists for a fiver would do a great job, of getting rid of the frost in the footwell of a bag.

Did you bin the old one?

Sent from my UMI eMAX using Tapatalk

Yes.

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"a normal rubber hot water bottle" = vg - also a lemonade/other bottle filled with hot water props up bag to allow heat to spread
The old hot water pigs are excellent - bit pricey 2nd-hand now tho

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well my snowtrekker is on the way, I asked Joe to send it surface mail, which was the cheapest option, but it could take two months to arrive.

I've found out its the 2009 version, 8x11 exp crew, but hasnt been used for about 4 years. I like the wedge tent, as its a classic, as described by Rutstrum in his book paradise below zero, but I believe his was egyptian cotton and double walled. But he used dogs to haul his.

Cant wait to get it. It weighs about 9 kilos. And is a 3 man tent with double door zippers. To pull on a tobbogan, I'd really like to get hold of a ti lightweight 4 dogs stove, as I want to keep the weight as low as possible, otherwise, Im gonna have to get another steel one.

Do any other members have a snowtrekker out of interest? I cant wait to use it in some serious cold. with a proper bough floor. I think it'd be great to set up a base camp, and stay out in it for a month or so, snaring ptarmigan, and fishing for trout through ice holes to supplement your meals..Then snowshoe out most days, to explore the surrounding areas. A real comfortable palace. With the ability to dry your kit overnight. Bushcraft heaven!

attachment.php

I found an old video of hoops of wintertrekking.com, and its the same as his tent:

[video=youtube;ALmU5geZu3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALmU5geZu3Y[/video]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks, I've been told its apparently its very much like egyptian cotton. A slightly different material to the stuff he uses now..
I think I may have got a used four dogs titanium stove sorted out as well......But early days.....and Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE