old mora handle rebuild and sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Few years ago I posted a re handle I did of a broken handled mora I was given as a teenager. Turns out it wasnt very comfortable to use and I got cramp quite quickly in my hand as it was too bulky.
Over the last week I have re shaped it and given a teak oil finish.
The wood is some type of maple.
I never got a sheath for this knife and decided I wanted to have a go at making one. I have never attempted leather work before I dont have leather working tools and was'nt prepared to waste money paying on what I deemed to be an almost certain bin job.
While browsing a charity shop I spotted a wide belt for £2 bargin!
The thread I used is 45lb fishing braid.
I do have a dremil and a spikey wheel which I used to mark the thread holes.
I used a tiny round headed dremil bit. As a punch to give the dimple effect. And a wooden dowel for burnishing.
I am actually really pleased with the end result and would happily have another go some time.
I have done a belt loop also a cord loop so it can be used around the neck too.
(Sorry for size of pics didn't realise they were so large)

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

20150922_083937.jpg

20150922_091345.jpg

20150924_144617.jpg

20150924_144720.jpg

20150924_144626.jpg

I welcome feed back good or bad and advise is always welcome :)

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Superb job. Really liking the mora's showing up all of a sudden. Great story regarding how you managed to get such a great result without spending obscene money.
Love the colour, texture of the leather. The handle looks really comfortable as well.
Great pictures too.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Thankyou quietone,
I have to confess the image showing the dremil has the first cut out of the belt which was scrapped, I didnt think about belt loop ect. So started again.
So the actual finished item is the remainder of the belt.
I believe the wet forming also when I used olive oil to protect the leather, has given the colour change.

Last edited:

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I like that a lot, I'm going to re handle mine, I had a sheath made for it ages ago but can't get on with the original handle, thanks for sharing.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Thankyou cbrdave.

The advise I'd offer for a re handle is dont put any finish on you re handled knife until you have done some tasks using it.. I found the original handle shape I did very comfortable in hand, but was shocked how easy my hand ached or cramped while actually using it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work!
Charity shops provide me with lots of my crafting materials too:)
Keep up the DIY - keep the "Craft" in Bushcraft!:)

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Thankyou John Fenna :D

Already made new plans for the same design sheath, this one didnt have enough width to include a strip of leather to protect the stitching from the blade.
Still its a perfect excuse to make another at some point :D

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Thankyou cbrdave.

The advise I'd offer for a re handle is dont put any finish on you re handled knife until you have done some tasks using it.. I found the original handle shape I did very comfortable in hand, but was shocked how easy my hand ached or cramped while actually using it.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't think of that, I would of got it till comfy to hold and then sealed it, only to find it wasn't quite right,

You've save me some Agro,
Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE