Old knife recovery help needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
I have recently aqcuired a heavy machete style knife, a folding whitling knife and a multitool... problem is they were all sitting in a friends garage for 2 years! eeek..

They all have slight specks of rust and the machete as a minor blade dent...

how do i remove the rust and resharpen the machete?!

Any help would be most welcome :)

P.S hope everyones over the xmas rush and ready?? ...if you are, please let me know how you did it :yelrotflm:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Give it a rub down with some fine emery, if there are really big bits of rust remove them with a brass wire brush. Sharpening wise, there are loads of threds here about sharpening so I'll let you have a dig for those. Don't forget that a machete isn't really meant to look all pretty and shiny, a bit of dinking here and there, as long as it isn't on the edge, won't do it any harm at all.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I would give them a rub down with autosol metal polish to remove as much rust as possible, live with the specks and give them a good oil,

I would not worry about a few dents in the machete blade! It will get plenty more as time goes on!

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
excellent! thanks for all the ideas... sounds perfect! sorry for the late reply guys... xmas rush over now.... aaaaand breath lol

but i did get lots of very nice bushy goodies from freinds and family :)

hope you all had a great one too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE