Old german army pack bit of a review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Germanbackpack007.jpg

I got this old German army pack from the surplus store for 15 bucks.I know it is not going to be to everyone's tastes but I kind of like the that retro 1950's style of gear.The pack is a relic of the cold war made for the old and now defuncked east German army.The Guy at the army surplus store said that German army use this basic design of pack for something like 130 years.So there must be some merit to the design for it to be used for such a long time.
Germanbackpack009.jpg

Turning the pack over you can see there are a few unwanted straps which are just a little bit irritating.The two straps coming off the shoulder strap and the one at the back where originally to be link to some kind military belt.I have no need for them so they will eventually be cut off.
Germanbackpack003.jpg

The whole inside lined in this green rubber making it pretty much waterproof
Germanbackpack015.jpg

So it will carry another gear for a day out at the woods,billy can,poncho,lunch,.It my be a bit small for over night trips
Germanbackpack004.jpg

It has this neat cover for the opening.This writing looks more like Russian that German to me???
Germanbackpack011.jpg

Back view with yours truly..:DI said the pack is old but has never been used it just been siting in some old east German warehouse for some 20 odd year.I like the retro style,that it is a relic,a bit of history,and of coarse it was very cheap.It's well made a little bit rough round the edges perhaps,and I have to say like the crazy "raindrop" camouflage pattern.For sure it will out last any $15 "made in china" kind of pack you can get today.
Germanbackpack014.jpg

It even comes with a little bit for you name tag....:D

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ah the NVA Stricheldruck! loverly pattern! also known as strichtarn. ran from around 1965-1990. just wish i could find a jacket in my size cause i'd snap it up instantly.

the shoulder straps are indeed supposed to link to your belt, ideally this pack was attached to the webbing directly and that strap is the shoulder harness of said webbing, same style used from just before the turn of the century. cracking kit ;) some of the east german stuff was some of the best soviet bloc kit out there.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I used to really like that old rain-drop camo. And the spotty Austrian one as well. You don't see them much anymore, except as nasty copies.
A lot of Eastern Bloc countries used that camo during the Cold War.
Love that bag though. Perfect shape and size for a day's wander.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I used to have the jacket/trousers/helmet/webbing/and pack in this pattern when i did airsoft(many moons ago) gave most of it away, only bits ive got left are mag pouches and water bottle/cup sitting up in the loft,good but basic kit.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Useful review thanks.

I keep looking at these on the bay of e for canoeing, these are the first pics I've seen of them in the field and now I'm thinking they might be a bit too small for my needs.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Useful review thanks.

I keep looking at these on the bay of e for canoeing, these are the first pics I've seen of them in the field and now I'm thinking they might be a bit too small for my needs.

For sure Shewie they are not the biggest of packs maybe 15 liter's.But you could always tie some kit on the pack and carry some stuff on you belt.
Germanbackpack011.jpg

In this pic you can see I am using a belt pouch to carry some gear and a leather sheath for my bahco saw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE