Oiling climbing metalware?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Evening folks,

Coming up to 6 monthly inspection date for all rigging kit, lifting kit and climbing PPE and I'm debating the use of good old WD40 for cleaning threads, bearings, etc. I'm of the opinion that a dry PTFE lubricant may be better for industrial, dusty, dirty use but welcome suggestions; anyone else as attentive to detail?!?

I think there's another word for my attentiveness!! ;);)

Thanks all!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I used WD40 for years, sea cliff climbing at Swanage several days a week required very regular matainance if you didn't want your gear succumbing to the affects of salt. Spray it on, leave for a bit and then wipe off, jobs a good un.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I am partial to GT85 over WD40 it seems to stay on better and protect better for stuff that you just want to have done and get on, if you're cleaning regularly and reapplying WD40 would work fine...

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
And avoid SILICONE spray if you ever need to grip anything ever again.... As a teenager i thought it made all the black bits on my motorcycle look awesome....so saddle and handle bar grips got the works... OUCH!.....it took like WEEKS to get rid of all traces.....

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
GT85 for me as well. I do use silicon stuff as well as it puts protection on my stuff too. With climbing and rigging kit in general you do not need the grip except on a few items and they get treated differntly for me anway or I protect that part which grips and lube the other stuff.

I also have silicon stuff in my gun oils which gives a lot better protection and makes the carbon a lot easier to clean :)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Thanks folks for the help. hot water baths to remove gunk, WD40 for cleaning down and dry lube for screw gates, cams and open bearings seems to have worked. Bit OTT but those oiling needle pens work a treat for detail. That's 144 karabiners and 54 related rigging items clean and inspected for 6 months!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE