Oh darn it!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I bought a Julius Pettersson blade last week and made a handle from yew leather and antler. After epoxying it on i left it for a few days and today i sanded it to shape, unfortunately the layers were not quite flat so theres bits where epoxy has set and im not very happy with the look/shape of it, can anyone recommend the best way of removing the handle so i can re do it with just wood or a simpler design? Has anybody else used one of these blades?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I'd use a hot air gun, and wrap the handle with something wet. Epoxy breaks down fairly quickly with heat. If you have pins in there, it maybe a little more difficult, but it should come off.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Thanks Jojo, there are no pins just epoxy, i will try borrow a hot air gun from college tomorrow, im really gutted at the finish, i will try a simpler one with just wood next i think and a different shape too.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Hehehe..thanks everyone and good to know im not the only one :D i managed to get the handle off by leaving in boiling water for a while and then using a screwdriver to get between the layers. Im just out of the shed now, making a one piece handle from yew. Hopefully it turns out better!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE