Offer from the BBC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been contacted by the BBC to help find some people for a TV series - The Truth About Food.

I had a good chat about it with them and It's going to be a great oppertunity for anyone that can go. You don't have to have any special skills so everyone can consider it if they can get the time off.

I expect that there's going to be a few of you that want to do this, I suggest you get in early for the best chance. Good luck to anyone trying for it.

Here's the contact details and a bit of info.

The Truth About Food
Would you like to go back to a time when man was in tune with nature?

Are you interested in finding out if we could learn anything from our ancestors’ diet and lifestyle?

If so ‘The Truth about Food,’ a new series from BBC Science would like to hear from you. We are looking for adventurous people to spend two weeks living communally exploring the diet and lifestyle of pre-pastoral man.

The fortnight will include workshops in the skills pre-pastoral man would have needed to obtain and prepare food. It will take place at a UK location in mid-July. You need to be a non-smoker.

If you are interested in finding out more please contact us on: 0870 010 6770 or email: truthaboutfood@bbc.co.uk. Please mention “Evo Diet” and be sure to leave a contact number.​

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Bear in mind that whenever I have looked at or been aproached for television projects like this in the past, such as "Living in the Iron Age" there has been an overwelming priority to make "interesting" television.

For example: People chosen for thier unsuitability for the task. People chosen that will not get on and as many booby traps built into the system as can be thought of.

I hope that is not the case here but best if you go in, to do so with all eyes open. :nono:

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Tony said:
I've been contacted by the BBC to help find some people for a TV series - The Truth About Food.

..and then you told them Beeb-people that you are only willing to ask us all when they release the Track's & world of survival DVD's... :lmao:

Tom

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Im with Wayland on this one. If you do choose to be involved be warned that the whole thing has pretty nuch been planned allready. They know the types of people they want and they know the kind of reactions that make good telly. And they wont necasarily tell you what the objective of the program is if they think it will make better telly.

I have dealt with way to many "documentries" and "reality shows" and know that every time what you actually see is far from what actually happened. Once I had to be interviewed whilst making a cup of tea, all informal like. so after making 8 brews they still hadnt got it right and Im starting to find that im having to act for them cos its tough answering the same questions over and over without sounding like you've heard it before.

If you are going to be involved be sure to ask lots of searching questions about the objectives, who is involved, if there is a shooting schedule, how much youll be getting etc but most of all beware, these media types can be worse than agents.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Yes,I was marginally involved in a Time Team visit and I was surprised how much rehersal went into a "surprise" find. :rolleyes:

Have a go by all means but remember that judicious editing could make you look a right prat if that helped the ratings. :p

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I would be well up for this if it weren't for the fact it involes other people and I don't just mean the film crew!

Good luck to whoever gets chosen from this site and lets hope it includes a few bushcraft babes!

Cheers

Klench
Ps: Tony, if they need a nice shot of a shiny and funky Landrover I'm your man but can't think why as even your 110 came of the production line after "pre-pastoral man"!!! :lmao:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Klenchblaize said:
Ps: Tony, if they need a nice shot of a shiny and funky Landrover I'm your man but can't think why as even your 110 came of the production line after "pre-pastoral man"!!! :lmao:

It would have to be a Series I. :cool:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Pre pastoral, so they have special dispensation to allow bowhunting for the show?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The only time i have been inolved with TV has not been a great experience. Companies want to have ratings and total editorial control. Meaning they story they tell may not reflect actual events.

That said i have worked with people who advised on the SAS are you tough enough weries and a couple of others. They enjoy working with the Beeb. They pay very well.

Good luck to those that want their 15 mins of fame. I would think it would be better to try and get a job as an advisor than becoming a contestant.

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
Snufkin said:
Pre pastoral, so they have special dispensation to allow bowhunting for the show?

Don't think so.
They will shoot some frames of a happy bunny.
They will shoot some frames of a pre-pastoral human with a bow.
He will aim at something (the director?)
He will shoot.
They will buy a dead bunny from the butcher.
They will rattle some branches.
They will shoot some frames of a dead bunny with an arrow in it.
The pre-pastoral man will skin the bunny and eat it medium rare.
He will get sick, but they won't film that.

"no living animals were harmed during the filming of this episode"

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Probably all true but I'm still looking forward to seeing those sympathetically shot (filmed) "bushcraft babes" in pre-pastoral clothing!! :Wow:

Cheers

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
ggfh666 said:
Don't think so.
They will shoot some frames of a happy bunny.
They will shoot some frames of a pre-pastoral human with a bow.
He will aim at something (the director?)
He will shoot.
They will buy a dead bunny from the butcher.
They will rattle some branches.
They will shoot some frames of a dead bunny with an arrow in it.
The pre-pastoral man will skin the bunny and eat it medium rare.
He will get sick, but they won't film that.

"no living animals were harmed during the filming of this episode"

i thought that it was illegal to hunt with a bow and arrow in england?

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
PurpleHeath said:
i thought that it was illegal to hunt with a bow and arrow in england?
True, and kind of the point of my original post. How will they understand what it's like to live with a hunter/gatherer diet if they don't appreciate the difficulties of primitive hunting?
But hey, I don't have a TV anyway so I won't be watching it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Klenchblaize said:
Probably all true but I'm still looking forward to seeing those sympathetically shot (filmed) "bushcraft babes" in pre-pastoral clothing!! :Wow:

Cheers

Trust me, not Raquel Welch in a fur bikini, but badlly homespun sack tied in the middle with bits of tatty animal skin tacked on. :rolleyes: Not accurate, their workmanship was at least as fine as ours, but hey, it's tv. :rant: On the other hand they'll probably manage the obligatory fish catching in the altogether bit; it's amazing how often it's curvy young females who performed that chore in icy cold water, isn't it? :lmao:
Actually, I'd love to see a really good series on this subject, a balanced *economy* of the period would be fascinating. Our islands are rich in natural resources, and the popularity of programmes like RM's and Timeteam show just how much interest there is in the subject.
Maybe we're being too cynical. Bushcrafty filmstars? Whatever next :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im tempted to put my name forwards

Im obtuse enough to bother anyone.

"Do we `have` to cook our meat today?"

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
Snufkin said:
True, and kind of the point of my original post. How will they understand what it's like to live with a hunter/gatherer diet if they don't appreciate the difficulties of primitive hunting?
But hey, I don't have a TV anyway so I won't be watching it.

do'h i must hav missed that! :rolleyes:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I had a chat with the BBC yesterday about how it’s going to be portrayed. They’ve reassured me that it’s a serious science series, although light hearted in parts. They seriously want to study people and diet and not people getting mad with each other and playing big brother.

So, I’d say you’re safe if you were concerned about it.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE