Off to Trefor.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
End of the month the family are off to the welsh coast, nice little private cottage in trefor, bottom end of caenarfon bay. now there's a fair bit of walking to be had round this area with some big hills (not sure if they're climbable)

does anyone know any good places to visit with family round this area? i'm hoping to teach my eldest some bushcraft whilst out there and with luck teach SWMBO to put up with our outdoor obsesion heh. prolly going to head up to caenarfon castle at some point too and the market over that way but unsure about anything else to see.

hoping to do some beach foraging and get a little meal cooked up from the local shellfish (tis an area they collect muscles etc from already i checked) and poss some local lobster/crab or mackerel!

the nearest hill appears to be Moel-Pen-Llechog 316m at highest point with Gyrn Ddu to the north east with 522 being the highest point although there are cairns at about 420 and 490 so we'll see, apparently its nice and rocky on one side but hilly on the other, not sure if my sons legs will carry him up that let alone mine! there are stone walls up there so some psycho has been up there at least 100 times to lay them ;) unless the sheeps did it hehe.
so yeah, expect some pics at least of the area and i'll piccy any edibles and interesting finds!
ta
pete

http://www.multimap.com/s/RY3CmZUo

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I'd stongly recommend a walk up to Tre'r Ceiri. It's right by Trefor, and it makes a nice walk, espically if you pop up Yr Eifl (564m) at the same time. You can walk up from Trefor itself I believe, but if you want a cushy stroll, start at the car park at SH353440, it's at knocking on a thousand feet to start with.

Head NE up Bwlch Yr Eifl, and climb up Yr Eifl from the NW - great views from the top if it's clear. Then head east to Tre'r Ceiri, the impressive main entrance is in the middle of the fort as you're facing it. You can get back to the car by heading SW out of the fort.

The best thing about this walk (apart from great views for little effort) is the hillfort. It's a stone built one, and in suprisingly good shape. It's one of this islands gems, I'm suprised we don't make more of it.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Reet, well i'm off tomorrow, there's a fair bit to see including 3 nearby castles! so i'll report back on wild edibles and anything interesting i find on my travels!
toodles!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE