Off Road Training

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
I've recently completed a day of 4x4 off road training at Whitecliff 4x4 in Coleford, and would like to thoroughly recommend it to anyone, who has recently bought a 4x4.

I'm not affiliated to Whitecliff, but found them in a Landrover owners magazine, where I looked for some local sites for training.

I'd bought myself a TD5 discovery back in August, with the intention of doing a bit of greenlaning etc... so decided to invest in some proper tuition first, way cheaper than learning by breaking things!

The Whitecliff school, is based in a quarry in coleford, and consisted of a half day beginners course, followed by a half day advanced course, teaching basic techniques, and vehicle control, to more advanced terrain reading and more difficult sections of the quarry.

I certainly gained a thorough grounding in off road driving technique, and feel much more confident about using my own car now, the tutors at the school were great, and all were very informed and patient.

A cracking day out, and perhaps something for a christmas wish list?

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Good idea to get training as this not only helps you in vehicle control but teaches you how to drive off road without destroying the ground and surroundings. Now go and do some Pay and Play days...;)

yes pay and play days are great for honing your skills, I would get a spare set of MT or AT for those days just to prevent damage to your road tyres, its also worth investing in some recovery points, front and rear, and a decent dead rope, I had a Td5 Disco, loved it! (apart from when the head gasket went) they are great off road but you may find the front valance catches on things, always always wear your seatbelt even on private land and watch yourself and others especially kids at those places, you do get some nutters charging around! I always say to be a good off-road driver you need two things, good tyres and experience, the obstacles I used to put my standard 109 SIII though / over are testament to that and I hardly ever damaged it
Enjoy the green laning, you have some great lanes in Wales, just remember to “tread lightly” not to give the “Anti's” more reason to complain about vehicles driving on an unmade road

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
My MT tyres ARE my road tyres... ;)
I have Kumho KL71s fitted and they really do drive better than any AT tyres I have tried on road. They are directional but have a large blocks so they don't squirm. Faultless on October's Hungary jaunt and even better in the mud and muck of The Plain..

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks Spacemonkey & Dano,

The play days sound tempting, but the instructor at Whitecliff, didn't recommend them as they're not controlled, they seemed to promote the idea of RTV (Road Taxed Vehicle) type events, which are more controlled, and designed to allow you to turn up have a go and drive home. I think they were saying the play days do have a few nutters about, just as Dano suggests.

I'm looking into greenlaning, and seeing whats about locally, plus I've got a very good friend in Ogri the trog, who lives in Mid Wales, and there are plenty of opportunities for off roading there!

Gotta get myself some decent tyres first, mine are wearing down a tad, and not far off replacement.

In your reply Dano you mention recovery points, can you point me in the direction of somewhere I can buy some? If you can it would be appreciated.

thanks again

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yes there are some nutters at the Pay days but generally it gives you an opportunity to have a good go off road in situations that wouldn't occur on green lanes. And of course if you get stuck, there are lots of people only too willing to pull you out. Give it a go, I guarantee you'll enjoy it. The majority of vehicles are driven there and back.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks Dano for the links, I'll take a look later today, if the boss isn't around too much!

And Spacemonkey, I'll have a look for some local play day sites and give it a go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE