Observing Bronze Casting at Butser

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
YtRcTLQ.jpg

Whilst volunteering and performing general maintenance at the farm as always, the resident bronze caster decided to show us some casting as the "tech shelter" was finally cleaned and had lights installed. I only helped sort the equipment out and prepare the mould. James runs casting courses at Butser, but volunteers got to observe the process for free on Wednesday. I think for volunteers there may be a chance to make something for free, but I won't personally be bronze casting as I have a strict structure and I find following my "don't run before you can walk" method to be effective learning. That is to say I'm just starting in crafts with woodwork, so I don't think I should be metal working yet and trying to make a bronze axe head as it's a very complex and masterful process it seems. It's not that I don't appreciate the opportunity, it's more to do with mentality, level of experience and the learning method I described. Despite that, it was very exciting to observe it.

If any Bushcrafters from Hampshire want to come down to Butser of a Wednesday, I'll be there. It's great fun and a valuable experience, even if volunteering mostly consists of wood stacking, path levelling, stock replenishment and other farm type jobs.

More photos can be seen at the Farm's Facebook page. I'm the one with the most hair.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2050...2043103798964/

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Looks like a great place, cant understand why if given a change to try casting you don't do it, you have nothing to lose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE