O1 or D2 steel for a bushy???

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
I like zero grind scandi edges with no secondary bevels on my scandi knives. The two I have that are hollow ground from Jason really surprised me. I was afraid they would not hold up to batoning, boy was I wrong. The took it like a champ.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This may be off topic but I also have one is S30V from Roger Linger that is easy to sharpen as well.

I think we're reasonably relaxed about what's on-topic on this forum, and I for one am certainly grateful for your post(s). :)

Do you know of a Web site for Roger Linger? I did a quick search and found a lot of references that weren't for any particular site, and the only actual site link I found was dead.

Incidentally is your wife left-handed?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Hmm. I *was* going to say read Bladeforums - I haven't been there much the past few years, that's where I contacted him. Googling it, however... Yikes. I have a Roger Linger knife, I had no problems in the purchase, but that was at least 5 years ago, possibly more.

O1 vs D2 - both are rubbish without a decent heat treat and O1 is more tolerant in HT than D2 is. D2 is a pig to sharpen by comparison, but at least you don't need to do it as often.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
Hmm. I *was* going to say read Bladeforums - I haven't been there much the past few years, that's where I contacted him. Googling it, however... Yikes. I have a Roger Linger knife, I had no problems in the purchase, but that was at least 5 years ago, possibly more.

He seems to have had some problems over the past few years and has had numerous complaints with customer relations on blade forums. When I got mine is was a bit difficult. I received an email from him saying he was putting the handles on and I would have it in 10 days. The 10 days turned into over six months which is a shame because the quality of his work is excellent.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
I think we're reasonably relaxed about what's on-topic on this forum, and I for one am certainly grateful for your post(s). :)

Do you know of a Web site for Roger Linger? I did a quick search and found a lot of references that weren't for any particular site, and the only actual site link I found was dead.

Incidentally is your wife left-handed?

Good catch. Yes she is left handed. I am not sure if Roger Linger is still making knives or not and I do not have a current link for him. Charles May makes some great knives, but his wait is currently about 13 months - well worth it in my opinion. Jason Stout is also a tool and die maker. His fit and finish are among the best I have seen. He is fairly quick and in my opinion very reasonably priced for the quality of his work. He had someone commission a Bayley style knife and has some new bushcraft knives not yet on his web site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE