O1, Madrone burl & Bone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Here's another small one. It's the same blade shape as the last one but this time with a higher grind and a secondary bevel.

mandroneburlcopy.jpg

mandroneburl2copy.jpg

mandroneburl3copy.jpg

Steel is 3mm O1. The handle is madrone burl with a bone spacer. Overall length is 165mm. Hardened to 57-59 HRC

Please feel free to comment. You're much better at spotting areas for improvement than me :)

Thanks for looking

Michael

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Like the look of the grind and the overall blending of the handle to the blade looks good to me. I think though that a tapering and more pointy ( hope I'm not getting to technical for you here) point might suit the handle, as it the whole knife seems to be roughly the same width over most of its length. Then again if that was the idea behind the design, great job!

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
I know nothing about knives, but that looks really good to me. Mike, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get into making knives? It sounds like such an interesting way to make a living, but not the sort of thing that might get mentioned in career guidance at school, for example! I looked at your website and it said you first made a knife in 2004. Was that just curiosity, wanting to have a go, were you on a course, what?

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi Anzia, thanks for the compliment.

I've always been interested in knives and made my first one on a one day course while traveling around New Zealand. We forged the blade, ground the bevels and fitted the handle in one day! Since then I've had a chance to learn from some very talented makers and picked up lots of knowledge from books and even forums :)

You could count on one hand the number of makers in this country who make their living solely from knife making. But that doesn't stop the rest of us trying!

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Well, that sounds like a very cool course to go on! Your other knives look fantastic too. I must admit, when I saw a knife making course advertised a while ago, I wondered why people would bother. But now I'm finding out more, and seeing your knives, I can see that a handcrafted knife must let you decide exactly what you want, and to get a distinctive/unique look too. Nice! Thanks for the answer :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE