'Nubuck' Sueded Leather Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Hiya all

I'm after some ideas as to what I can do with a piece of 'nubuck' sueded leather that I've got. It's about 6ft x 4ft and 1 - 2mm thick. Its very soft and easy to work with, I've already made a couple of tobacco pouches with some and looking for a new project. Any ideas?

Paul

P.S. It's too thin for sheaths or strops.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
RobertsonPau said:
Hiya all

I'm after some ideas as to what I can do with a piece of 'nubuck' sueded leather that I've got. It's about 6ft x 4ft and 1 - 2mm thick. Its very soft and easy to work with, I've already made a couple of tobacco pouches with some and looking for a new project. Any ideas?

Paul

P.S. It's too thin for sheaths or strops.
What about a satchel or possibles bag?
http://crafts.probetech.co.uk/images/leather/bag vike tart.jpg

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
I really like the look of that, but this stuff is so soft it won't hold a shape. I tried a possibles pouch but it proved impractical because of the 'floppyness'(sp). Imagine cotton tee shirt material stiffness.

Paul

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
The stuff that the satchel is made out of is pretty floppy. Its the design that holds the shape. But if it is that thin then the best use would be as gather pouches or a lining for something.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The sporran pattern I use has a folded over top edge. This gives it a firm doubled layer that is strong enough to take heavy leather thong drawcords.
Folding the leather and glueing the layers together at 'structural' places might help keep the bag in shape.
There's another type that has a brass cantle that has holes drilled in it and the soft leather bag is sewn onto the metal with linen thread or leather thong. I've seen the cantle made of both bone and wood too.
If the leather is as fine as you suggest it sounds as though it may have been produced for gloves, you could try them, or mocassins for little 'uns :)
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE